Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why does DW go away in 4WD?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

first off, i see you haven't changed out your ball joints. have you checked them to see if they are bad? most of the time, DW is a track bar related problem but the next biggest cause is bad ball joints.

now, if they check out, do you have a friend with a set of tires of a different make that you can try on? i'm not sure if it's because of the way the tread is designed but, i know a lot of people who've had DW problems after installing MTR's and have them go away soon after swapping them out with something else.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=death+wobble

So far as I can tell, anyone on here that has fully read and used this has had success in fixing their DW. I can tell you personally when I go to modify mine I will be printing this and shoving it down someone's throat if they refuse to follow the check lists to make sure they got everything right.

Hope this helps planman seems to be theman for this and other issues.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i'm not sure if it's because of the way the tread is designed but, i know a lot of people who've had DW problems after installing MTR's and have them go away soon after swapping them out with something else.
That is a really interesting point. Since the inside half of the MTR's obviously has more rubber than the outside half, and more rubber means more weight, it would seem like the tire would be fighting itself when it gets going fast because there would be different centrifugal forces (same force, but different effects because of different weight) happening on the two different halves of the tire.

I'm no physics/engineering expert, so perhaps someone else can chime in here who actually knows what they are talking about. But it seems to me that you might be on to something WOL.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mdmmd
I'm in Morris county. Near Morristown. Upgrades to date are as follows:
OME HD lift
JKS adjustable track bars
AEV rims and MTR 35X 12.5 R17
DW them started
JKS LCAs ( caster at about 4.6 now)
Washers welded to axle for better support although the holes never looked wallowed out to my eye.
Replaced track bar with JKS updated TB
RCV axles with evo magnums and C gussets welded on.
track bar steering box bracket

DW started some time after the wheels. Never had it with stock rubicon rims and tires. It actually started after replacing the stock damper with a high end one but that was not likely the related. My ball joints seem to be ok.

Where are you in NJ??

I work in parsippany n I live close also. U have almost the same setup as me. I could def meet up and try n help ya. I set mine up and its great. Shoot me a pm.
sent from DroiD.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK

I work in parsippany n I live close also. U have almost the same setup as me. I could def meet up and try n help ya. I set mine up and its great. Shoot me a pm.
sent from DroiD.
I would love to meet up PMe your info.

I am going to have the wheels road force balanced. I've been hearing this alot by some. A local shop owner put on MTRs, had bad DW and replaced them with BFGs and it was gone like magic.

I have check the ball joints and to the best of my ability there is minimal play.

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-14-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: no apology necessary - please just stop making any mention of them
Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default mine had it bad when i added a 2 inch spacer to a 3 inch lift

they left the steering stabilizer of because it had a dent in it put it back on and no problems
Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rhino4bs@yahoo.com
they left the steering stabilizer of because it had a dent in it put it back on and no problems
Your steering stabilizer would not have caused your death wobble. I suggest you do a search for DW on here and read the posts where planman has contributed to find out the real source of your DW. He helped me when I had DW a month ago and we got it dignosed and fixed within a week. I ahd bad control arm bushings and wallowed out track bar holes. I repeat again, your stabilizer is not going to cause DW, you dont even need to have a stabilizer to safely drive ur jeep.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi

Were meeting up this weekend to hopefully figure his prob out.

sent from DroiD.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Thats awesome. So nice that forum members are willing to lend a hand to a jeeper in need. I know I really appreciated all the on-line help when I was having this problem.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Have also seen the track bar cause the DW. Had one where the mount at the axle had broken and if you hit a bump the only way to stop the DW was to stop completely. Had one where the bushing had wallowed out and it had the DW, just not quite as severe. Only case I saw when the track bar wasn't the source was when a lift kit had been installed and the pitman arm nut was not tightened correctly. Not saying other things can't cause the DW, these are just the things I have dealt with personally.

Quick Reply: Why does DW go away in 4WD?