Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why are BF Goodrich All Terrain tires So Loud?

Old 03-16-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have 50k miles on a set of BFG M/T's. We rotate frequently so they are all wearing evenly, no cupping, and running at stock recommended pressure. They've been mostly quiet since the beginning until just recently--not loud, but, just slighly more audible than not really hearing them at all. I'm shocked they've lasted this long, so everything we get from here on out is just gravy--and I'd be willing to bet we've got another 10-15k left! They definitely don't hum and groan like some other aging tires we've had--a set of Toyo Open Country's that I couldn't wait to get rid of.

Have also had a set of the BFG A/T's on another vehicle, and were quiet as quiet can be.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my PSI is currently 27 psi.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The BFG KO (original BFG mud terrains and OEM on the Rubicon and some other Jeeps) is a little louder than the new BFG KO2, but certainly not loud for a mud tire. Sure they are louder than an all terrain, but that quiet AT is super loud compared to your road only car tire. You need to compare like type tires, and listen for yourself, not reviews.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap there is a lot of mixed up info. in this thread.
In the beginning there was;
All terrain
and
Mud Terrain.
KO was the redesign of the All Terrain, and has always been an All Terrain tire.
KO2 is the current redesign of the KO, again, and all terrain tire.
KM was the redesign of the Mud Terrain, and has always been an Mud Terrain tire.
KM2 is an evolution of the Mud Terrain brought on by the popularity of rock crawling. Oddly enough marketed as a mud tire, but was actually developed as a rock tire... where it does rather well... mud, not so much.
Krawler, an evolution of the KM2, a competition based rock tire.

I've had All Terrains, All Terrain KO's, and KM2's. I specifically did not run Mud Terrains or KM's due to their mud bias and noise levels.
KO's are quiet and last forever. Great in snow and gravel and decent in rock, not so good in mud. I assume the KO2's will follow that formula.
KM2's, are no where near as loud as KM's (from having rode in pals rig equipped with them), but are a little louder than KO's. KM2's work great in rock, wet rock and are decent in gravel and mud.
I've never ran KM's, hardly ever mud that needs dealt with around these parts. If I lived in mud country I would run Super Swamper TSL Radials. Those things killed it in mud, but be prepared to wear shooting range ear muffs for highway driving.

Last edited by Mike H.; 03-16-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops :o yep, KM = MT and KO = AT
Old 03-18-2015, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rubicon OEM tires

I am on my second set of BFG mud terrain OEM from the Rubicon. My first set got 89,000 miles, and still had a lot of tread. I only replaced them because the rubber got hard and was slick in the rain. I am on my second set now and I am at 112,000 miles. Zero issues, and I don't find them loud at all (louder than all terrain of course).

Of note, I rotate at 6,000 when I change oil and do a 5 tire rotation with the spare. I run at recommended PSI.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by eodguy789
I am on my second set of BFG mud terrain OEM from the Rubicon. My first set got 89,000 miles, and still had a lot of tread. I only replaced them because the rubber got hard and was slick in the rain. I am on my second set now and I am at 112,000 miles. Zero issues, and I don't find them loud at all (louder than all terrain of course).

Of note, I rotate at 6,000 when I change oil and do a 5 tire rotation with the spare. I run at recommended PSI.
Same mileage or more here and just replaced 2 of 4 last year and the other 2 of 4 this year. I do a 4 tire rotation once every blue moon and that has been when I pick up a nail or check the brakes. Not louder than any good lug tire. I run at the max pressure rating on and off road and most people would turn around before driving into a lot of construction mud holes I go through at work.

Quick Reply: Why are BF Goodrich All Terrain tires So Loud?