Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why are 99% of the trackbar brackets for the axles?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are 99% of the trackbar brackets for the axles?

why are they all for where the bar connects to the axle.

I'm looking at getting some brackets and came across the BDS drop bracket for the rear. Why are. The only ones who do this. It seems to me that the top is a more logical spot for the bracket. In the rear atleast. I know the front is so the drag link is the same angle. Why do most manufactures make it for the axle.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have an Idea?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

The axle-end add on ones are useless, in that they increase the stress on the bracket, and the likelihood that the oem bracket will rip off the axle. The bolt-on/weld-on ones that beef up or replace the axle-end brackets, however, are a good thing, in that they strengthen the axle end and minimize the likelihood of that bracket coming off. Most agree that an adjustable track bar and some type of beefed up axle bracket combination is the best solution overall.

I ran the BDS frame bracket for two years because I, like you, thought that was definitely a better idea than the axle end bracket, at least the ones that were available early on...

I don't know why more axle end options are available, however...
Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

My Superlift came with an axle-end version but there was a weld-on support that goes on around the extension bracket. Once I welded it on, it made more sense to me why [they] did that. As long as it's a weld-on version, that sort of solves 2 problems at once... It corrects for the lift height and compensates for the weaker factory bracket. Now, just like you said, if you run a bolt-on on the axle side with no support bracket....good luck to you and take'er easy on the big stuff.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With small lifts you can get away with a frame bracket. Taller lifts need a axle mounted trackbar bracket. It has to do with raising the rear roll axis. Installing a rear adjustable trackbar only recenters the axle but doesn't fix the rear geometry.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
With small lifts you can get away with a frame bracket. Taller lifts need a axle mounted trackbar bracket. It has to do with raising the rear roll axis. Installing a rear adjustable trackbar only recenters the axle but doesn't fix the rear geometry.
Forgive me I'm still learning but wouldn't installing any bracket change the geometery? I mean aren't we trying to get the suspension back to the factory angles? I'm not familiar with roll axis. If we're trying to keep the trackbar in the same place Why not offer a top and bottom backet? I guess it's not possible for the smaller lifts but what about the larger ones?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abock33
Forgive me I'm still learning but wouldn't installing any bracket change the geometery? I mean aren't we trying to get the suspension back to the factory angles? I'm not familiar with roll axis. If we're trying to keep the trackbar in the same place Why not offer a top and bottom backet? I guess it's not possible for the smaller lifts but what about the larger ones?
Installing a bracket changes the geometry and offers some adjustment for the rear axle to be recentered if there's multiple mounting holes. A adjustable trackbar allows for fine tuning of the rear axle (centering, plus better clearance from coils).

You have a front and a rear roll axis point. These need to be either perfectly level or the front a little lower for better handling. You only need one bracket in the rear to correct the geometry. Take a look at replacement JK rear axles from TeraFlex and other brands. Typically you'll find a rear trackbar bracket with several locations for the trackbar to be connected to. This allows the customer to adjust the rear roll axis and centering of the axle. This will affect how the JK handles.

Quick Reply: Why are 99% of the trackbar brackets for the axles?