Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why 17" wheels over 18"?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I think that 18's come with the 'upscale' Sahara for the bling factor, nothing to do with performance.

Kinda like all the people running around bragging about the looks of their new 20's or 22's. Congratulations, you just paid three times what I did just so you can show off... Good job!!
actually a larger with rim does offer some better performance. there is less sidewall deflection in the tire giving better grip and handling on the road. This is why the Sahara and the Rubicon has the same outside diameter but a different inside diameter. now obviously the increase in side wall size is better for off road and that is what the Rubicon was design for. But a lager sidewall is not the best for on the road and the Sahara package is put together for people that would prefer this.

There is probably a formula they use. If a outside diameter of a tire is X then a rim size should be Y. This is why the Sport has 16" rims. The tires are so small that a 16" rim would give it the best on road performance. You probably wouldn't notice a difference going from a 18 to a 17 but lets say one person has a 35 tire with a 15 rim and the other person had 35 with a 18 rim. If everything else was the same you probably notice a difference.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Umm, we're talking about a stock Jeep Wrangler (or I was, at least), not a sports car whipping around corners. I doubt you would feel any difference between a stock 32" tire wrapped around an 18" rim on a sahara or 17" rim on a rubicon.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Umm, we're talking about a stock Jeep Wrangler (or I was, at least), not a sports car whipping around corners. I doubt you would feel any difference between a stock 32" tire wrapped around an 18" rim on a sahara or 17" rim on a rubicon.
Umm, really we are not talking about sport car? Oh maybe I was trying to answer the question on why they put 18s on the Sahara...

You know I should have wrote uou probably wouldn't notice a difference going from a 18 to a 17. Oh wait, I did.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Collyn
Or you can do as I did. Buy 5 off brand( but still really well made) 35x12.50-18's for $995.00.
What brand?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Wheel size is really a preference, but there are advantages to going smaller. 17's have more options for ties sizes than 18. Also, with each size you go down the cheeper the tires, and wheels, get. As you go down in size you get a better tire sidewall to wheel ratio for more sidewall flex off road. There are downsides to going smaller, a lot of after market upgrades, especially brake upgrade packages are designed for a 17" or lager wheel, so going to 16" rules out some of those options. A lot of guys run 15" but you have to be careful because a lot of the after market 15" wheels won't fit on the JK.

From what I have seen 17" wheels are probably the most common choice for aftermarket wheels.
Exactly. Smaller wheels generally = cheaper tires. I downgraded from Rubi 17" to 16" ProComps. I save an average of $50 per tire from this decision. I'm on my 3rd set of 35's now, so this savings is becoming substantial. On the flip side, I'd love to add the new Baer Brakes 6-piston caliper kit..... but they require 17" minimum rims. This is the tradeoff.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18 inches aint bad baw but I always preferred the Moabs over the gladiators

Click image for larger version

Name:	BdMzWgv.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	679743

Quick Reply: Why 17" wheels over 18"?