Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Whos running a throttle body spacer?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
I don't think this is ever a valid way to look at after market parts. Chrysler's primary motivation is profit. They are selling around 100,000 JKs annually, and whatever they do needs to result in additional sales. So an additional $2 per vehicle expense needs to produce at minimum an additional $200k in profit. So this little largely undetectable part needs to produce a couple hundred additional sales or more to make it worthy.

So while I don't think a throttle body spacer is a worthy product, there are plenty of others that are that wouldn't add a dime to the manufacturers bottom line.
I'm with JPop on this one!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very true! Profit over Performance!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brink2177
I currently have the AEM Brute Force CAI, Firepower Screamin' Demon Coil, Live Wires, Ngk Ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Superchips Flashpaq, MBRP Exhaust, and the Silver Bullet. My Jeep is an automatic with 35" tires.
I have much the same setup, but without the ignition mods you mention. Did you notice any difference with the ignition mods?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

The engine definitely runs smoother! My Jeep ran rough at idle at lights and stop signs before, but now it is really smooth. Plus, the Live Wires look awesome!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I currently have the AEM Brute Force CAI, Firepower Screamin' Demon Coil, Live Wires, Ngk Ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Superchips Flashpaq, MBRP Exhaust, and the Silver Bullet. My Jeep is an automatic with 35" tires.
Talk about getting every hp out of the 3.8
Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I still need to get a supercharger to finish it off!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine definitely runs smoother! My Jeep ran rough at idle at lights and stop signs before, but now it is really smooth. Plus, the Live Wires look awesome!
Do you have any pics?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPop
I don't think this is ever a valid way to look at after market parts. Chrysler's primary motivation is profit. They are selling around 100,000 JKs annually, and whatever they do needs to result in additional sales. So an additional $2 per vehicle expense needs to produce at minimum an additional $200k in profit. So this little largely undetectable part needs to produce a couple hundred additional sales or more to make it worthy.

So while I don't think a throttle body spacer is a worthy product, there are plenty of others that are that wouldn't add a dime to the manufacturers bottom line.
Agree ... same reason they don't give us decent bumpers ... the OEM ones cost less, which impacts their bottom line and consumers aren't going to buy sufficiently more JKs to justify the expense.

There is actually a business axiom that says that every $1 of internal costs cut (e.g. saving money, labor, etc.) is the equivalent of increasing sales by $1.5. So, they'd have to make $300K in profit to justify a $200K increase in expenses.

Quick Reply: Whos running a throttle body spacer?