Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who's running a Banks on 3.6 with Auto?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's running a Banks on 3.6 with Auto?

Thinking about buying one, found a deal on CL and it's got me thinking.

But before the ball busting comes in about CAI being a waste and just do a snorkel... I'm not big into water crossings. I live in STL.

The jeep is a weekend toy and vacation rig.

So that being said.... Who has one and what's your thought of it.

Thanks guys
Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have one installed on a 2014 6 Speed. I know it isn't an automatic, but I saw nobody replied, so I'll give you my experience as a reference...

The gas pedal is more responsive (it feels quicker off the line) and my MPG stayed the same. Not that it matters to me, but the engine noise is also increased.

I've been also told its a waste and to get a snorkel, but like you, I'm not into fording rivers.

Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

A friend of mine has the Banks Stinger system on his 2013 auto. Just as above, his throttle response is better, but his mileage improved 1-2 mpg as well. Before I knew he added it, he drove up as I stood in a parking lot.....I had no idea he did anything as he idled by....it's quiet! He said if you get on it, there's a nice exhaust sound and cool intake sound...no drone.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a YouTube dyno run - it looked like some noticeable gains.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Junkie

Unless you are running a programmer and/or engine mods, the gains are negligible at best. A snorkel has more benefits that just water crossings. Get s the intake a little higher and out of dust plumes if you are on dusty trails and roads, following somebody.

Considering all the mods I have done to various owned vehicles, I wouldn't run an intake and exhaust unless I intended to reprogram the engine.

In the end, your money, your rig.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

I had one on my 12 auto and my 13 auto. I don't know that there are any real performance gains. What I liked about it was the sound when you step in it. Sounded much better than any exhaust. That was the only positive I could really notice.

sent from my work leash
Old 05-11-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I had one on my 12 auto and my 13 auto. I don't know that there are any real performance gains. What I liked about it was the sound when you step in it. Sounded much better than any exhaust. That was the only positive I could really notice. sent from my work leash
You didn't notice improved throttle response? That seems like a benefit some see and some don't.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Placebo effect. Just like when I do a really good cleaning and waxing, it runs a lot better.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bfschor
You didn't notice improved throttle response? That seems like a benefit some see and some don't.
I mean it's possible, but nothing I would use as a reco for someone else. But the sound improvement was great and am happy to share that info.

sent from my work leash
Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sea bass
I saw a YouTube dyno run - it looked like some noticeable gains.
. Interestingly enough, I always look at the horsepower gains on many mods I've done. Mom all about the "gain per $". But in reality, 15-20hp and tq, is hardly noticeable on a 5000+ lbs. vehicle. Add in oversized tires, driveline angles, etc., and the power is quickly diminished. I noticed a 15 hp gain on my Buell Lightning, but that's a 300 lbs. machine. I noticed a 50 hp & 45 tq gain in my Volvo S60T5, but it wasn't an eye opener. Now, when I took the Volvo motor out, ported it, bored it, threw on a new high flow header, larger exhaust, turbo, cooler, fuel pump, etc., that is when I noticed a huge gain. After about $7k in parts, it was just right. In numbers and seat of the pants. Basically, the Volvo 50hp gain, was with a cat back, CAI and reprogrammed computer. stock was 250hp and 247 tq. On a 3200 lbs. aerodynamic car with low pro tires, low to the ground, etc. And again, the 50+ increase wasn't that much of a difference. When I did everything else, it woke up immensely. Dyno'd at 410hp & 425 ft lbs. of tq. That woke things up. Went from a stock 0-60 time of 6.9 sec. To 5.3 sec. The measly 50hp bump, shaved just .10 sec off the 0-60 time.

In short, you want performance, open the wallet. I haven't read much good about many SC kits, but I am eyeballing the activity as I know I will eventually be looking for more power, well, just because I can.

Quick Reply: Who's running a Banks on 3.6 with Auto?