Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who's breaking axle shafts??

Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The D30 is not a weak axle. Numerous people run 35's with lockers in places like Johnson Valley without any trouble. I was one of them when I had my TJ. The HP30 on the JK is even better than the LP of the TJ. Mos t axle breakages on the 30 are driver error.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke my dana 30 front axle shaft after about 16000 miles running 37s since mile 10.
I think it held up pretty well. Alot of it was the open diff in the front.
We have replaced 4 sets of front rubicon axle shafts all the short side.
2 were running 35s and 2 running 37s. I think alot of this is caused by the locker .
Chromolly axle shafts will cure alot of this. Superior is working on the front axle shafts.

We have been testing the rear Superior chromoly Axle Shafts since March and added a Detroit Locker for the last 3 months.

REAR SUPERIOR 4340 HD CHROMOLY AXLE SHAFT KITS ARE NOW AVAILABLE AT OFF ROAD EVOLUTION>Starting Monday we will be taking phone orders for the kits and they should be available on line at www.offroadevolution.com sometime next week. They will be priced at $299.99 for the kit which includes bearings and seals.THESE AXLES ARE MADE IN THE USA

Puddlz you are number one on the list. Give us a call on Monday. Thanks for the order.

Last edited by Evolution; 08-10-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broke my right front one on a trail. Snapped the u-joint and axle shaft right to pieces. :( Dealer replaced under warranty, no questions asked.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

dana 30 locked with electric locker and 37s no issuses yet
Old 08-13-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran a D30 in my YJ starting out with 35's and a lock right and that damned thing broke if I looked at it wrong. However, a friend of mine has been wheeling his D30 front for years with an OX locker and alloy shafts on 36" IROKS and wheeling every bit as hard as those of us with one tons and 40's+ and never broken one. You never know for sure. It's right on the edge of strong enough vs not strong enough. Through in the variables of axles shafts, tire size, conditions (rocks, mud, bound up tight, etc) and driving style and that makes for the wide variance of opinions on good vs bad.

Personally, they break more than I'd like to think about which is one of the main reasons I went with a rubicon. Tires, rock sliders, the fancy sticker, hell even the transfer case can be replaced easliy or added to an X model, etc. But add all this with the front D44 and it's worth it to me.

I'd like to run 37's but for now I think I'll stick with 35's for some insurance. I'll wait for the 37's when I can add alloy shafts and new drive shafts.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

I have broke 2, that's right, 2 Dana 44 rear axle shafts and don't know what I keep doing wrong. I have 35's and must be binding. Can someone please explain this? I've heard that binding before you have to bump over an obstacle is the cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is getting expensive! It's always the rear driver side as well.

Thanks!!!

Brian
Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

So far, so good. I try to lay off the skinny pedal but have run the hard lines at Holy Cross (not Cleveland Rock) in the rain. The lockers work perfectly, so I also try to keep the front open unless I really need it. Before the lift and tires we did a snow run involving tons of high revs and 2-3 feet of snow. There was some activation of the brake-lock differential so I mashed the ESP button for 10 secs to turn it all off just to be safe. The odometer says "ESP OFF" and it behaves normally then. I'm betting some of the failures are happening when a wheel gets loose, accelerates rapidly, then gets slammed to a stop by the brake. Anyway, no problems of any kind so far. Pritchett in October should really test it...
Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I this what you are looking for?

I shreaded the front passenger side axle shaft at the U-Joint, Like a hand grenade went off in there. Found only small bits of the u-joint.

I was wheelin a hard uphill technical climb, a little off camber, and bang!

fixed it myself and will upgrade to co-mo's next time they break.

So this happened at just over 16,000 miles, and I am only running 33x12.5's
Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

been running 35"s on the stock D30 with no issues yet. I dont push it hard, i take my time over obstacles
Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by URHERE
I have broke 2, that's right, 2 Dana 44 rear axle shafts and don't know what I keep doing wrong. I have 35's and must be binding. Can someone please explain this? I've heard that binding before you have to bump over an obstacle is the cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is getting expensive! It's always the rear driver side as well.

Thanks!!!

Brian
Just found out from the dealer my rear DS shaft is "bent". How does it bend in the housing and not break? I just went ahead and took the chance to get the superior chromoly shafts. Recieved but havent installed yet. Anyone got any pics of install or write up of anykind. Wouldnt mind having a walk through first, Ive nener done axle shafts.

Quick Reply: Who's breaking axle shafts??