Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

who modified the back to sleep in?????

Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who modified the back to sleep in?????

who modified the back of the jee to sleep in it? what did you do? how do you like it?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i often camp in the back with my wife and we both enjoy it. As long as i move the front seats forward all the way there is plenty of room for both of us.
I just lay down two cheap foam mats from walmart and an eggcrate and its pretty cushy

I use the Under floor storage which doubles as extra storage but also allows you to lay completely flat in the back
Heres a write up for it
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...torage-178549/

Last edited by Croce; 01-20-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say I modified it, but I sold the 2 door for the 4 door just to gain the advantage of that!

All I do is move the gear to the front seats or to the side, put down a foamy, sleeping bag, and go to sleep.

I am planning to make a drawer system in the back so I am going to loose that advantage until I can think of a way to extend the platform without taking up more space. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

Mind you I only do this when I am in between trails and solo as otherwise I'll setup a tent
Old 01-20-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for how comfortable, I love it. Its like spoiling myself. I done bivy's on mountain tops so having an enclosed area with a nice foam or blow up mattress, sleeping bag, small pillow, its like a small lap of luxury! lol

Oh, should mention that you do have to stuff some stuff in between the back tub and the folded down back seat.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

A full-size air mattress fits nicely back there!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I cut a heavy piece of cardboard to fit over the crack and then throw down a foam pad and it works great for me and my wife. I am 5'10" I think if I were much taller it would a little short but for us it is ideal.

kind of cool waking up to this.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Sleeping platform

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	592941
Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
who modified the back of the jee to sleep in it? what did you do? how do you like it?
I made a platform in two pieces for traveling solo out of 2x4's and some 3/4 inch plywood. I push the passenger seat and back all the way forward. I'm 5'11" and it gives me plenty of room. I'm not as flexible as I used to be, and find it easiest to climb up and in from the front seat. Head room is a bit tight, so if you go this route keep that it mind. I like it because I can still keep all my camping/fishing gear inside while sleeping.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
I cut a heavy piece of cardboard to fit over the crack and then throw down a foam pad and it works great for me and my wife. I am 5'10" I think if I were much taller it would a little short but for us it is ideal.

kind of cool waking up to this.
Did you make it your breakfast?!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
Did you make it your breakfast?!
venison what venison lol.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Heeper
Attachment 592941

I made a platform in two pieces for traveling solo out of 2x4's and some 3/4 inch plywood. I push the passenger seat and back all the way forward. I'm 5'11" and it gives me plenty of room. I'm not as flexible as I used to be, and find it easiest to climb up and in from the front seat. Head room is a bit tight, so if you go this route keep that it mind. I like it because I can still keep all my camping/fishing gear inside while sleeping.
great idea. I want to remove my rear seat and make a platform like that just tall enough to stow a 35x12.5-17 spare and wide enough for two. Thanks for the idea.

Quick Reply: who modified the back to sleep in?????