Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who makes the nicest rear bumper w/carrier

Old 11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hidden wires

i'd love to see photos of how you routed the hidden wires on the third brake light.

looks great.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

It would be pretty hard to get photos that show the wiring so I will try to explain. Wiring goes from the led light through the round tube and through a hole into the 1x2 cross bracket, the hole to the passenger side upright was made by drilling a 1/2 hole and then a lot of die grinding to make a slot/hole, a 1/2 hole was made straight up through the bottom 2x3 tubing and into the angled upright then opened up to 3/4 on the bottom only, the bushings on the pin are approx. 1" wide and are at the top and bottom of the hinge - a large hole was made with a die grinder next to the top bushing from the inside of the hinge into the 2x3 tubing, a 5/16 hole was drilled through the 7" hinge pin centre (took 2 hrs with 1/8 to 1/4 to 5/16 extended drill bits and it seemed like 100 sharpenings) it took forever because the welding hardened the pin (cuttings were like dust) then drilled a few horizontal 5/16 holes just below bushing height to match the hole to the 2x3 tube and used a die grinder to cut an approx. 1/4 pie shaped piece groove to give room for the wire when the carrier swings open. It is not easy to snake the wire through all of this, especially when sliding the hinge together- a thin tig wire sure helps! The existing 3rd brake wires are pulled back and out of the wiring harness and fed down by the taillights and connected up to the wire that goes through the pin. All holes and openings cut were ground and filed to remove burrs and sharp edges- black silicone filled the two holes that are only visible from the bottom. Extra wiring was pushed into the bottom tube in case it is ever needed. This job was a lot of work and very tedious at times so be prepared for a lot of frustration. The wire was fed from the BOTTOM UP in a few stages. These pics may help to explain even though the arrows are the opposite to the feed direction, sorry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LODarrow.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	15050

Name:	LODarrow2.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	15051

Name:	LODwire.jpg
Views:	1589
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	15052
Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Black Ruby
It would be pretty hard to get photos that show the wiring so I will try to explain. Wiring goes from the led light through the round tube and through a hole into the 1x2 cross bracket, the hole to the passenger side upright was made by drilling a 1/2 hole and then a lot of die grinding to make a slot/hole, a 1/2 hole was made straight up through the bottom 2x3 tubing and into the angled upright then opened up to 3/4 on the bottom only, the bushings on the pin are approx. 1" wide and are at the top and bottom of the hinge - a large hole was made with a die grinder next to the top bushing from the inside of the hinge into the 2x3 tubing, a 5/16 hole was drilled through the 7" hinge pin centre (took 2 hrs with 1/8 to 1/4 to 5/16 extended drill bits and it seemed like 100 sharpenings) it took forever because the welding hardened the pin (cuttings were like dust) then drilled a few horizontal 5/16 holes just below bushing height to match the hole to the 2x3 tube and used a die grinder to cut an approx. 1/4 pie shaped piece groove to give room for the wire when the carrier swings open. It is not easy to snake the wire through all of this, especially when sliding the hinge together- a thin tig wire sure helps! The existing 3rd brake wires are pulled back and out of the wiring harness and fed down by the taillights and connected up to the wire that goes through the pin. All holes and openings cut were ground and filed to remove burrs and sharp edges- black silicone filled the two holes that are only visible from the bottom. Extra wiring was pushed into the bottom tube in case it is ever needed. This job was a lot of work and very tedious at times so be prepared for a lot of frustration. The wire was fed from the BOTTOM UP in a few stages. These pics may help to explain even though the arrows are the opposite to the feed direction, sorry.

Attachment 15050

Attachment 15051

Attachment 15052
Very slick. I might have to try this for the center cap section of mine. Thanks for the info!!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found a picture that may better show where the wiring went and I will show the correct direction for feed. Sorry if this has hijacked the original post, mods please move if you feel it is warranted.

Name:	LOD.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	15053
Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SpinningBull
What don't you like about the FF? I have a FF front, and was looking at getting the rear. PM me if you want to sell yours!
I am selling it, I have it listed on Craigslist in Albuquerque.

PM sent
Old 11-03-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

I vote lod sig series like wol has. Mainly because it just beasts all the other bumpers I had seen but also because of therog lights intergrated into the rear bumper. I junk it's just awesome. I'll be getting one as soon as possible
Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a question about the tire carriers on some of the ones listed in this thread. It appears that nearly all of the bars are so long that they cover up part of the license plate.

Isn't that illegal? Am I seeing an optical illusion?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

This is not a problem with the Expedition One and the LoD looks like it has a pretty clear view of the tag as well.

Last edited by Strong Bad; 11-03-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by P Nasty
I vote lod sig series like wol has. Mainly because it just beasts all the other bumpers I had seen but also because of therog lights intergrated into the rear bumper. I junk it's just awesome. I'll be getting one as soon as possible
Just so you know you should check post #17
Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, after looking at the various bumpers in this thread, I'm seriously leaning toward the expedition one.

Mac

Quick Reply: Who makes the nicest rear bumper w/carrier