Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who makes the nicest rear bumper w/carrier

Old 10-31-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Expedition One.

I dug through my pictures to see if I had some decent shots. Nothing great, but here you go...

js.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

I like my Mopar rear bumper and tire carrier.

If I were you, I would wait for the AEV rear bumper. Dave said it will be out soon.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kntr
If I were you, I would wait for the AEV rear bumper. Dave said it will be out soon.
x2

I guess they put a lot of work into the latching mechanism for the tire carrier so I am excited to see what it looks like. He said the release is only a few weeks away, so it is pretty soon.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Windrocker
Anyone got a good shot of a powder coated Expedition One.
Mine came with their black powder coat, I can snap a pic of it tomorrow and get it up sometime in the afternoon or early sunday if nobody else has posted one by then of the finish up close. I'll try and get a few from different angles, since typically you only see them from the rear. I'll also get a close up of my AEV front and put them side by side, so you can see if you think they look pretty good together.

Edit:
And no disrespect intended to Dave at AEV (because I love their products and have their front, skid and hood), but this is a direct quote from him on the AEV forum,
"Hang Tight, its going to be first quarter till the bumper and tire carrier are released. We're putting a lot of time into the development of the tire carrier to avoid the pitfalls of most.
dh"

Which sounds awesome, as first quarter is right around the corner, but unfortunately that post was from November of LAST year. So, when they now say it's coming soon, while I hope it's true for those who are still holding their breath, I'd certainly take "soon" with a grain of salt. The bumper will no doubt be killer whenever it does come out though.

Last edited by SaharaBlackNo1; 10-31-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty happy with my FabFour rear bumper/tire carrier.
I'll probably add the Hi-Lift mount FabFours sells for it.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
+1 for Expedition One.

I dug through my pictures to see if I had some decent shots. Nothing great, but here you go...js.
Thanks for posting the pictures! That looks very, very nice but even more importantly than that, its quality and functionality appear to be second to none. AEV's version is going to have to be at least as nice and good as that.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exp-One powder coated, It even looks better without those Bushwackers, super heavy duty and no regrets at all.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is really cool,nice rig I like the LOD bumper
Old 11-01-2008, 03:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by glwood6
I currently have the FabFours rear bumper and tire carrier, am seriously contemplating selling it and getting the Expedition One, that's how much I want to have a tire carrier that opens with the tailgate. I don't know if you installed your Expedition One yourself, if you did, was it a pain to adjust the tire carrier? And how was the installation overall? Can you tell me what the turnaround time is from ordering to receiving? I'm just full of questions...it's hard to buy something you can't personally see and put your hands on, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I unload my FF and order the ExpOne...thanks!!!
1) I didn't install it myself. I had the shop install it when doing my lift, etc. They install bumpers all the time, so them saying it was easy to install, doesn't necessarily make it so. If I recall correctly they said the AEV was more of a pain than the Expedition One. They hadn't ever seen the bumper before and they really liked it, and said that it got more attention in the shop than the AEV front.

2) I can't really comment about the turn around time, I'd recommend calling them and speaking with Sarah (she handles the orders and can give you a pretty good idea of their turn around). By the way, the reason I can't really comment on turn around time, is because I got mine shipped out within 2 days, ahead of several forum members who placed orders ahead of me. Not because I jumped the line, but because most shops like that usually have a display model lying around and I asked about it, and got that one shipped to me, because I couldn't stand waiting the 2-3 weeks. lol I paid extra for that by the way, and typically display models are rather like the ones you find in stores, they're not quite as finished as what would get shipped out, or a little beat up, etc. This one wasn't beat up, it had just a couple spots in the welds, where the powder coat didn't quite cover, that got some light surface rust. I ground those down to metal dabbed primer and some flat black and you literally can't tell. As far as I know, nobody else had this issue, because they waited and got the ones where they'd gotten the process down pat. And when I say little spots, I literally mean the a dot the size of what a sharpie would leave if you touched it to the surface.

3) I mentioned this in another thread about the bumper, but I was rear ended a few weeks after getting it and while there was a chip in the powder coat, there was not a dent. Not even a slight one. Now, I wasn't rear ended very hard, but the factory bumper would have definitely looked like hell after it. Oh and the guy who rear ended me? His Corolla or whatever he was driving looked like someone dropped a bowling ball on his hood and his bumper was totally sunken in and broken where it hit my rear tow hook. lol

So basically if you couldn't already tell, I really like the bumper and think it's quality is top notch. lol

Edit: And by the way, some of these other bumpers, LOD, etc are all great looking bumpers, but the fact that the Exp One not only looks great but has the integrated tire carrier that opens WITH the gate, is what put it over the top for me. The tailgate now stays open when loading things in there and while it takes more effort to close, my girlfriend can do it and she's a bit of a weakling. lol

Last edited by SaharaBlackNo1; 11-01-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edwin907
I'm pretty happy with my FabFour rear bumper/tire carrier.
I'll probably add the Hi-Lift mount FabFours sells for it.
Very nice n' tidy JK!

Quick Reply: Who makes the nicest rear bumper w/carrier