Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who makes the nicest rear bumper w/carrier

Old 12-27-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fathom, Looks good. I really like the bumber. Oh yeah those wheels are killer too. They are the ones I think I'm going to with also.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by oli~d
saw this one the other week in albuquerque. dont have any info on it except it said "combat rescue" on it. anybody know?

I love the PJ feet lol. Great customization. I was gonna do PJ.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

sdhexpert: I went to Lowes today to buy plumbing bits and pieces to complete my install. Did you find the vent for the rt hand water tank? Since there was nothing in the instructions about it I didn't catch the install when I first put up the bumper. After I installed it I had one of those "in the middle of the night epiphanies". The little threaded hole in the water tank accepts the vent "nipple" which in turn connects to the plastic tube which now resides inside my rt rear fender. It was a bitc. retrofitting it but I was dam... if I was going to take it off again. If you didn't buy the pump what a piece of crap! Made in Taiwan and I think it should last about 4 pumps.

Please before anyone gets me wrong AEV markets some good stuff. This bumper is rock solid and for me looks right on my vehicle. The tire carrier is strong as kryptonite, very well engineered. They blew the instructions but installation can be accomplished with a little ingenuity. As far as the plumbing AEV has a lot to learn.

sdhexpert: I've got the third coat of flat black paint drying on my cap now.

Overal Nobodies gonna see my plumbing anyway! ()

Last edited by Fathom; 12-27-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fallstonray
Fathom, Looks good. I really like the bumber. Oh yeah those wheels are killer too. They are the ones I think I'm going to with also.

Better hurry if you are talking about the AEV Bridgers I have. AEV discontinued them (although there are still a few chrome ones around). I bought the silver wheels and had them sandblasted and custom powder coated. The Pintlers sdhexpert has are available and probably nicer than the Bridgers but I wanted a 16" wheel. (Pintlers are 17")
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

Ok, if anyone is still watching this thread, AEV called me first thing this AM. I spoke with a very nice and knowledgable tech name of John. John apologized that the instructions for the "plumbing" were not there. Seems that originally they were included but when they revised the instructions somehow the plumbing was omitted entirely . He has already e-mailed them to me.

The fill cap color was "....what is being manufactured." As a business man I understand that even with a run of a couple hundred caps if they are made in white .....they are made in white. Black would have been difficult so....we got white. John said even internally there had been complaints about the color. Flat black paint works wonders!

If anyone gets the AEV CHMSL the polarity of the LED's is reversed. I am actually replacing the LED's (not nearly bright enough!) but as the last thing I installed Christmas eve I was upset when they didn't light up. Who knew that black should go to white and white to black. That WAS in the instructions!

John says he is sending out the plugs for the tailgate today so ..... all is right again. As I said AEV makes some first rate stuff. The bumper is no exception but as the first to receive a new product obviously WE should assume there could be a couple of bumps to be ironed out. As long as AEV provides quality customer support as they did today I will continue to hold the opinion they are a first rate company.

ps. AS far as the Bridger wheels, the only ones available anywhere are in chrome. There won't be anymore.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fathom

The fill cap color was "....what is being manufactured." As a business man I understand that even with a run of a couple hundred caps if they are made in white .....they are made in white. Black would have been difficult so....we got white. John said even internally there had been complaints about the color. Flat black paint works wonders!
I will try the rite dye method posted on the AEV web site first.

If anyone gets the AEV CHMSL the polarity of the LED's is reversed. I am actually replacing the LED's (not nearly bright enough!) but as the last thing I installed Christmas eve I was upset when they didn't light up. Who knew that black should go to white and white to black. That WAS in the instructions!
Opened the box for the brake light last, after I had the tire on the rack already. Did not realize the light had to go in first! Maybe a hint to be added to the instructions??

John says he is sending out the plugs for the tailgate today so ..... all is right again.
Are these the plugs to fill the stock rubber tire spacer holes?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sdhexpert
I will try the rite dye method posted on the AEV web site first.
Rite dye?? #^&@^#& you gotta be kidding me! I guess John didn't mention it after I told him I had rattle canned it four times already. Let me know how it comes out. I realized that paint scratches off!

Opened the box for the brake light last, after I had the tire on the rack already. Did not realize the light had to go in first! Maybe a hint to be added to the instructions??
ME TOO!

Are these the plugs to fill the stock rubber tire spacer holes?
Yes! Just call em!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Slightlymodified
I like my Smittybuilt.

finally i get to see the smittybuilt XRC. that looks awesome. i'm leaning towards this one as well.

i would like to see if i could fabricate an above-the-spare rack and gas can mount similar to the LoD one onto this...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

I can't believe all that time waiting for AEV to have that rear come out, and it looks like that. Very disappointing IMHO.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Junkie

Honestly I really like the design of the AEV rear bumper, but the price would forever leave me with buyers remorse... I could easily get the smittybilt XRC and then a decent front bumper all for probably under the price of the damn thing.

Quick Reply: Who makes the nicest rear bumper w/carrier