Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who makes the nicest rear bumper w/carrier

Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend splitting them up. Get the OR-Fab tire carrier which also holds your Jerry cans, HiLift, and antenna and then get whichever bumper you like. I picked up the Mopar rear bumper for mine with the word Jeep waterjetted into it.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by def9112
But everyone is different

I'm not.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by allterrain
The latch is poorly designed and the polyurethane pad on the swingarm fell off.
It uses a vertical pin to latch the tire carrier to the bumper that is prone to rusting and seizing up. Also, the powder coat has flaked near the shaft pin and rusted.
I have the Warn front bumper too and it has powder coat flaking as well.
I am going to take it in to an authorized service center and see if they can do anything for me.
Also, the tire sits up very high and obscures the view out back. I have a 37" on and can't see a thing.
x2 - It rattles like a mofo. I picked up some bump stops and now it takes all my strength to get it closed and the pin in. And it still rattles on the trail.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert
Here is the Shrockworks rear bumper with the new goodies attached. Soon to be available:
HOW have i never seen this!!! thats a nice looking bumber. are there more shots, angles of it? I like how it seems to sit lower than some other options. Might be able to see a little more out of the back. the gas cans looks to sit lower as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by [N]UGE
HOW have i never seen this!!! thats a nice looking bumber. are there more shots, angles of it? I like how it seems to sit lower than some other options. Might be able to see a little more out of the back. the gas cans looks to sit lower as well.
Here's a few pics of my Shrockworks (sorry 'bout only having trail shots - that's usually the only time I grab a camera ).

Verdict is still out for me at the moment, but here are a few observations (I'll edit this post if I remember or notice more).

Pros
  • So far, seems pretty tight - no squeaks, clunks, etc.
  • Lower CG
  • Allows use of stock hitch.
  • Full width can be used like a step.
  • Spare Tire mounted lower than many competitor's bumpers.
  • Spare Tire Adjustment (in and out from tailgate) great - really allows you to "tuck" the spare in close to your JK.
  • Mounting locations for Hi-Lift, accessories, CB bracket appear well laid out (although CB bracket had rather large holes drilled in it for the Firestik products I'm using).
  • Locking pin to keep carrier fixed in place when fully opened.
  • Latch is solid, although a little tough to use due to part of the tire carrier load being transferred to the latch when in its closed position.
Cons
  • Literally had to use a sledge hammer to beat the carrier onto the bumper.
  • Price - I think it's easily the most expensive ($$$$$$).
  • 15 Week delay after payment (I knew about this up front, but still annoying).
  • Spare Tire Adjustment (up and down) poor - only two positions . . . thought there'd be more. Currently am using upper position, but may lower roughly an inch to lower position.
  • Didn't jump out of the shipping container and onto my Jk like some fanboys intimated - my bad, should have known better (install was a bit of a tussle , but not bad when compared to my ARB front).
  • License plate relocation design - spring helping to retain plate to spare tire "seems" a bit weak, so I haven't installed.
  • Tire carrier latch partially blocks license - (again knew this up front, but still wonder if that was absolutely necessary).
  • Mud "spray" from tires shoots directly into backside of bumper wells filling them - just adds to cleaning (I may fab some simple covers).
  • Locking pin, that keeps carrier fixed in place when fully opened, "rides" on the bumper surface itself. Not sure if powdercoat will wear over time (you're supposed to smear lubricant on the bumper to mitigate surface deterioration along the arc the locking pin travels).
  • Did I mention that after paying, and then waiting 14-15 weeks to receive my brand new $1500+ bumper, I had to take a small sledge hammer to the tire carrier in order to impale it onto the hinge pin in the bumper (this step wasn't included in the instructions - had to learn about it in another Jeep forum from others who had had to resort to this installation technique. Shrockworks rep there elaborated with quip about very tight tolerances. Still unsettling.).

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-31-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I have had my shrockworks for a little while now and it is great. The install did take me a little while and I ended up using a rubber mallet instead of a sledge to put the carrier on the bumper.
I agree with JK-Rubi, I too am running a firestik and the hole was drilled too big.
I am running the license plate with the supplied spring and am not having any problems with it.
I got lucky and ordered mine from Screamin Lizard so there was no wait.

The pics don't show it but I have added the back-up lights to the bumper.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Here is the Shrockworks rear bumper with the new goodies attached. Soon to be available:
DAMMMMMMMMNNNNN,

now that is a friggin nice bumper with all the goodies attached

i am so jealous now
Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Great review! And your rig is very nice BTW.

Thanks. I like Doc's rig - looks a bit like mine now that I have the hardtop back on. Wish I could get mine looking that clean . . . and that's not meant to be some cheap shot, cause I know he wheels the fool out of that JK in deep nasty red muddy clay. Must be working his young'un hard.

Sucks that you had to use a sledge on a new bumper.... if you had to do it all over again would you?

Hmm, tough question. I had ultimately narrowed my choice down to an LoD or Shrockworks. At the time, Shrockworks had more of the design features I was interested in, however since then, LoD has released their Gen II version Signature Series bumper. I'd certainly take a very hard look at it if I was making the choice again (although I really like retaining the factory hitch more than those that integrate a hitch into the bumper).

If a 35 will fit in the lower position then I would probly go with that one.

I'm probably going to lower my 35 to the lower position - need to take some measurements, but I don't think I need it as high as it currently sits, plus I just re-installed the hardtop for the winter, and could use the extra bit of rear view I would gain.
Originally Posted by doc307
I am running the license plate with the supplied spring and am not having any problems with it.
Good to hear as I'd heard others who were not real pleased with the perceived security of the physical tag itself. I guess one Pro that I didn't really think of was that with the license plate relocated, you mitigate possible damage to your tag, and as doc307 has done, you can easily remove it for pics (just a small precaution for internet privacy reasons).

On the other hand, being too easy to remove might mean it'd "walk off" in some areas of the country.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 02-02-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Any one sporting the Smittybilt xrc bumper?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Verdict is still out for me at the moment, but here are a few observations (I'll edit this post if I remember or notice more).

Pros
  • So far, seems pretty tight - no squeaks, clunks, etc.
  • Lower CG
  • Allows use of stock hitch.
  • Full width can be used like a step.
  • Spare Tire mounted lower than many competitor's bumpers.
  • Spare Tire Adjustment (in and out from tailgate) great - really allows you to "tuck" the spare in close to your JK.
  • Mounting locations for Hi-Lift, accessories, CB bracket appear well laid out (although CB bracket had rather large holes drilled in it for the Firestik products I'm using). Not everyone even wants a CB tab but we include it and with several antenna options out there it was better to error on the large hole. We have alot of customers using larger antennas for higher powered radio equipt. We included all the modular 1/2" holes along the top for customers to be able to do what they wanted with it by either buying the mounts from us, making custom or having someone make something to fit your needs.
  • Locking pin to keep carrier fixed in place when fully opened.
  • Latch is solid, although a little tough to use due to part of the tire carrier load being transferred to the latch when in its closed position.
Cons
  • Literally had to use a sledge hammer to beat the carrier onto the bumper. These are individually reamed for each shaft, we keep a tight tolerance and would rather it be an inconvenience once than be a loose fit to install and wear over time to be sloppy and rattling. We'd hear more complaints from that. I'll make mention in the instructions.
  • Price - I think it's easily the most expensive ($$$$$$).
  • 15 Week delay after payment (I knew about this up front, but still annoying). We are sorry for the delay and are working on speeding things up while making sure quality doesn't suffer.
  • Spare Tire Adjustment (up and down) poor - only two positions . . . thought there'd be more. Currently am using upper position, but may lower roughly an inch to lower position. The lower position is at stock tire carrier setting. The our bumper is cut all the way to the crossmember allowing a 35 to fit all the way upto a 35" in the lower position. The upper postion would allow upto a 39". I felt there was no more adjustment needed.
  • Didn't jump out of the shipping container and onto my Jk like some fanboys intimated - my bad, should have known better (install was a bit of a tussle , but not bad when compared to my ARB front). If there were more difficulties that I could have streamlined through instruction let me know. I have heard nothing but positives first hand.
  • License plate relocation design - spring helping to retain plate to spare tire "seems" a bit weak, so I haven't installed. If you'd like replacement spring to replace the one you recieved shoot an e-mail or call. We'll take care of it.
  • Tire carrier latch partially blocks license - (again knew this up front, but still wonder if that was absolutely necessary). It was for what we were trying to do. The tailgate clears the backstop by approx. 1/2" and we needed the carrier arm to be as long as it is to accomodate all the accesories requested. We've also torn the plate off in the stock location each wheeling trip, we thought it was a win/win to include this "upgrade".
  • Mud "spray" from tires shoots directly into backside of bumper wells filling them - just adds to cleaning (I may fab some simple covers). The stock bumper is an enclosed plastic piece, which is why it doesn't happen with a stock full width. In order to get to the mounting locations it is necessary to leave it open. We did enclose the outer end cap.
  • Locking pin, that keeps carrier fixed in place when fully opened, "rides" on the bumper surface itself. Not sure if powdercoat will wear over time (you're supposed to smear lubricant on the bumper to mitigate surface deterioration along the arc the locking pin travels).
  • Did I mention that after paying, and then waiting 14-15 weeks to receive my brand new $1500+ bumper, I had to take a small sledge hammer to the tire carrier in order to impale it onto the hinge pin in the bumper (this step wasn't included in the instructions - had to learn about it in another Jeep forum from others who had had to resort to this installation technique. Shrockworks rep there elaborated with quip about very tight tolerances. Still unsettling.).

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into making some adjustments to improve.

Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 02-03-2009 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Who makes the nicest rear bumper w/carrier