Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who makes the best sleeves and gussets

Old 09-14-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intersting how these were all the rave and now they are not needed...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh, most of the shit we buy isn't needed, mostly wanted if you think about it. I've seen stock X's follow me alot of places on a trail I thought they'd never make. Kinda made me scratch my head and say what the hell did I spend all this money in mods for? It's a sickness I guess.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Eh, most of the shit we buy isn't needed, mostly wanted if you think about it. I've seen stock X's follow me alot of places on a trail I thought they'd never make. Kinda made me scratch my head and say what the hell did I spend all this money in mods for? It's a sickness I guess.
LOL!! exactly - there's a big difference between "need" and "want".

if you can afford to do sleeves, they are definitely nice to have for the assurance they provide. however, if you are on a budget and need to pick and choose your mods, c2 gussets are definitely needed before sleeves and chromo shafts are way more important than both of those especially if you're running big tires.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default sleeves and gussetts

Okay. So I went and purchased the Evo gussetts and sleeves from Dave at Northridge, after everyones suggestions. Now I am wondering if I should have just got the external sleeves instead? There is about 15 guys in my local jeep club waiting to see how these do and if there worth it? I just dont want to lead then down a unnessary path if the money can be spent in a better place.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by s1edneck700
Ok first of all hello to everyone on jk-forum, I've come to visit from another jeep site since the information here is more JK-specific.

About the sleeves, would it be prudent to have the axle seals replaced during the install? I'm not an experienced welder, but would the heat generated by the plug welding be enough to compromise the seals at the diff? Asking because I have ORE's skids, gussets and sleeves waiting for my stocker for when I get home and would like to have the install done without delay. Thanks!
naw, the holes closest to the seals are still far enough and work time at each plug isn't long enough to generate that much heat to effect them. you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by qzing01
Okay. So I went and purchased the Evo gussetts and sleeves from Dave at Northridge, after everyones suggestions. Now I am wondering if I should have just got the external sleeves instead? There is about 15 guys in my local jeep club waiting to see how these do and if there worth it? I just dont want to lead then down a unnessary path if the money can be spent in a better place.
naw, if you're gonna go with one or the other, inners are the way to go.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
it's all good except for the fact that moby dick has been out of commission for the last two weeks and will most likely be out for another month. as far as fun goes, yeah, here's a post i made about our adventures over the summer:

Project-JK Moby Dick Endurance Test - 9 Trails in 6 Weeks

as far as lil' nemo goes, we've taken her out and will be running her a lot more in the months to come especially being that moby dick is in the infirmary waiting for a transplant. here are a few pics of nemo at niagara rim....

Very nice!

Did you have any rubbing with those 35s and the OEM LT kit from Northridge 4x4?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is so true 99% of the time. But it's that 1% when your 90 miles to the closest gas station and out solo that a failure in a wanted part may really turn into a NEED.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are sleeves neccesary?

My view is that it's harder to replace an axle housing that the internal components. Break a U-joint of a shaft and no big deal to replace it. Bend an axle housing, and it's not so easy to fix. Gussets and Sleeves are good cheap insurance to make sure your investment in future internal upgrades like shafts, lockers, and gears are protected. Why spend $1000+ on upgraded internals and not spend a few hundred protecting the housing?

Sleeves, armored diff covers, lower CA skids. All these things are insurance and none are really needed. Then again, the only time you are gratefull for insurance is right after *$%^ happens.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by porters
Very nice!

Did you have any rubbing with those 35s and the OEM LT kit from Northridge 4x4?
yeah, i had a little bit of rubbing on my arb front bumper back supports. i have since removed them and all is good. i also has some rubbing of the jks sway bar disconnect pins on the sway bar itself at a full flex and a full turn but unless i get new wheels with less back spacing, i may not be able to resolve this issue. fortuantely, so long as i stay aware of it, i have no problems.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

I just bought the EVO sleeves. Does anyone have the instructions in electronic copy, I was going to email it to the folks that are going to be installing my sleeves. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best sleeves and gussets