Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who makes the best sleeves and gussets

Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the gussets come in a set of four?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

The C2 gussets come in a set of four:

top and bottom of the C for both drivers and passengers side.....4 pieces total.

I just had ORE install the C gussets, rock stars, sleeves and CA skids......it looks sweet and the piece of mind of having the extra strength is unmatched...especially with HEAVY 37's
Old 09-13-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default external sleeves?

I know I am back to back posting........but.........

What would be the advantages of having the internal and external?

Current setup:
Front Axle:
Rubicon d44
5.13's
37x13.5's
ORE C gussets, sleeves, CA skids, JKS track bar brace

Where is the point at which the axle tube is stong enough you don't have to worry?

When would you need to start looking at axle shaft upgrades?

Possibly upgrade to D60's?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do the sleeves come in a set of four as well? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

sleeves are going to be only for the front axle.........you will get a long sleeve fo the passenger side, and a short sleeve for the drivers side......
Old 09-13-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steelefx4
I know I am back to back posting........but.........

What would be the advantages of having the internal and external?

Current setup:
Front Axle:
Rubicon d44
5.13's
37x13.5's
ORE C gussets, sleeves, CA skids, JKS track bar brace

Where is the point at which the axle tube is stong enough you don't have to worry?

When would you need to start looking at axle shaft upgrades?

Possibly upgrade to D60's?
Good question.

The internal sleeves are smaller in diameter than the stock tubes so internal sleeves only increase the tube strength by about 30%. External sleeves are larger in diameter than stock so they increase tube strength by about 60 - 70%. The combination of internal and external sleeves gives you on the order of 2X the stock tube strength. Combine sleeves with the C Gussets and Control arm skids and the strength of the axle housing is formidable.

The next part of the equation is the strength of the internal axle components. Shafts, carrier, ring and pinion (R&P), etc. Internal components also need strengthening to run larger tires without significant risk of breakage. You can add cromo shafts that are significantly stronger than stock shafts. You can add a new locker/carrier from ARB or others that significantly increase the strength of the carrier. You can heat treat the R&P for some increase in strength as well.

What axle is right for you? For a built up Dana 30 the weak point is the R&P. The small R&P will not stand up well to 37s but should do OK with 35s. A D44 has a larger R&P than a D30 and a built D44 should be able to run 37s. A stock D60 can handle 37s and you could build it up even stronger. It all depends on what tires you want to run and how you off-road.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflifette
We had the Off Road Evolution sleeves, C2 gussets and skids installed on our dana 30.
I have to give you a little grief over adding sleeves to Little Nemo. A while back WOL told me that sleeves were not needed.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yeah, i have seen them too but as mentioned, personally don't see any need for the reinforcement. that is, not unless you plan on jumping your jeep. while the tubes are on the small side, they seem to do just fine with 35's and they seem to be holding up well with my 37's. if anything reinforcing your C's is really what you need to do more than anything as that is a proven weak point and they will bend. and, if you're gonna play really hard and with big tires, upgrading to a D60 really is the better way to go as your axle tubes bending might just be the least of your concerns.
Originally Posted by wayoflife
the tubes on the D30 are the same on the D44. what you should be concerned with is not the D30 axle tubes but rather, the shafts and u-joints being used. trust me, you would be better served using your money to buy a set of new chromoly shafts.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/reinforce-front-axle-tubes-64694/
Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default gusset install ?

do the coil springs require removal for the C2 gusset installation?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by porters
I have to give you a little grief over adding sleeves to Little Nemo. A while back WOL told me that sleeves were not needed
but they aren't needed. nice to have but far from necessary.

as i have said before, reinforcing your C's is really what you need to do more than anything as that is a proven weak point and they will bend. and, if you're gonna play really hard and with big tires, upgrading to a D60 really is the better way to go as your axle tubes bending will be the least of your concerns. beefing up your axle tubes to with inner and now with crazy overkill outter sleeves won't do squat for the parts of your axle that really matter - things like your axle shafts, u-joints and ring & pinion. trust me, they will all break way before your axle tube starts to bend.

Last edited by wayoflife; 09-13-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SHRKDOC
do the coil springs require removal for the C2 gusset installation?
yes or at least, you need to take the load off of the coils by lowering your axle down. if you don't, the coils will prevent the gussets from sitting completely flush.

Last edited by wayoflife; 09-13-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best sleeves and gussets