Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who Makes the Best Rear Bumper?

Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Makes the Best Rear Bumper?

I am looking at fit and finish, completely rattle free, durability and accommodation of 35" tire plus, and accommodation of a rear trail rack and jerry cans.

I have looked at (online):
LOD
Jeeperman
Pure Jeep
Garvin
Rock Hard
Warn
Fab Fours

Having pics of them all in the same thread would also be helpful for comparison.

thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

+a for FabFours. Very high quality and great fit and finish.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the reply. If you have this rear bumper, can you post an installed pic??

Fab4s seems to make nice products from what I can see. I kinda like the AEV front bumper, though. Do you think it's best to stay with the same brand for front and rear perhaps so that the finish matches?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, the "best" is entirely subjective. Woolf gave the FabFours an A+, but looks-wise FabFours would be at the bottom of my list (no offense to Woolf!). So, as they say, that is why there is chocolate and vanilla. I've yet to hear of any major quality concerns regarding any of the bumpers you've listed.... I would choose what you like the best in looks/price and then do some research to make sure there haven't been issues with the bumper(s) you're interested in. And I wouldn't worry about matching the front to the rear, as long as you are happy with the way the combo would look.

As far as pics go, check this page-- you'll find links to a ton of great bumper shots there. The FabFours bumpers, which aren't listed on that page, are pictured in this thread.

Hope that helps a little!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I went with Lod. I can vouch for the front bumper only and I am very happy with the look and the fit. It has the skid plate built in. I have the back bumper on order, I expect it in about a week. I didn't go with the tire carrier thou.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

I ran across this doing a google search for LOD.

http://www.johnsoffroad.com/lodrbumper.html

I definitely want to avoid rattles.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzle_65
I ran across this doing a google search for LOD.

http://www.johnsoffroad.com/lodrbumper.html

I definitely want to avoid rattles.
He most likely had a Gen1 bumper which had a 3/4" hinge pin and yes, there were a few instances where the pin fatigued causing the A-frame to rattle. However, if this guy had just contacted LoD to let them know what was going on, he would have found out that LoD would have replaced the entire bumper with a new Gen3 bumper that has a 1-1/4" hinge pin and for free.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
He most likely had a Gen1 bumper which had a 3/4" hinge pin and yes, there were a few instances where the pin fatigued causing the A-frame to rattle. However, if this guy had just contacted LoD to let them know what was going on, he would have found out that LoD would have replaced the entire bumper with a new Gen3 bumper that has a 1-1/4" hinge pin and for free.
It sure looks like an old unit.

I am just waiting 'till the brush guard becomes available before I buy the whole set.

I am wondering, since I have a hell of a time finding a good place for my back-up camera, if one could drill a hole in the bumper where the tools box is and install it there? Would be a great view when hitching a trailer.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Does the fab4 accommodate a rear hitch? or is it a trade off for rear winch? just curious as I've already got the LoD front and back on order

Last edited by dsy; 03-07-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dsy
Does the fab4 accommodate a rear hitch? or is it a trade off for rear winch? just curious as I've already got the LoD front and back on order
It's integrated.

Quick Reply: Who Makes the Best Rear Bumper?