Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who makes the best 4.56 set?

Old 08-14-2016, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As noted above, I believe Richmond was/is USA made, however, in the Mustang world they have a poor reputation.
I've been told by folks in the business, that most gear sets come from Asia... by going with different suppliers here in the USA you are buying their quality control program. From what the same folks tell me, G2 seems to have the best quality out of them... meaning those folks had the least issues/returns/rejects when using G2.
Again, it's not what "I" know, just what I've been told by a shop that has been in business since the 50's, and does a tonne of rigs here.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having yukon 4.56's installed as we speek. It's taking extra time cause the yolk wouldn't fit on the pinion. Installer had to do some work to make it fit. So as of right now I'm not a fan.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gburkett
Having yukon 4.56's installed as we speek. It's taking extra time cause the yolk wouldn't fit on the pinion. Installer had to do some work to make it fit. So as of right now I'm not a fan.
Interesting. I run Yukon 5.13s and as far as I know, there were no issues during installation. I had a Jeep buddy do it for me for the cost of what he needed to buy in tools. Basically, I bought the tools...he did the work. Yukon gears and master install kits with Timken bearings. I've put probably 15k-20k on my rig since then with zero issues so far.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id go Richmond or gearworks for top of the line and cryo them. For most any of the common brands will be fine though...
Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

The first set of gears I've done were 4.88 yukons on mine. I have about 15k miles and a lot of wheeling on mine with 37s on a 30/44 with absolutely no problems. I've done a few gear swaps since then and have used Yukon and G2. I've had no problems installing either.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I was told that Yukon has their gears Cryowd ...
Old 08-16-2016, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
I was told that Yukon has their gears Cryowd ...
While im not sure if this is true id assume there not in the same price range as any other basic r&p?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
While im not sure if this is true id assume there not in the same price range as any other basic r&p?
I got mine last year for $600 which included front and rear 5.38 Yukon gears and both front and rear master instal kits.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best 4.56 set?