Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who Has Done Gears ....actually Done Them

Old 08-07-2007, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done quite a few sets of gears and I ussually end up using a 8ft peice of 1/8 angle iron bolted to the yoke and a 3/4 inch craftsman wratchet that measures about 4.5ft long.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cost of gears and labor....

I paid just over $800 to have my 5.13 gears installed (price included the gears and labor out the door) in my Rubicon Unlimited JK at Mt. Logan Offroad in Logan, Utah. They did an awesome job and had it done when they said it would be done.

Good guys, good business.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
I'd find a new shop. Gears are no different in the JK.

sweet, another "e know it all". you probably think rubi 44 and jk 44 gears are the same dont you? even without saying that, the problem isnt the gears, its the yoke...its round. its impossible to hold with your hands, 20" channel locks or a huge pipe wrench. becuse of its design, a tool had to be made to hold it and it took a few tries to find something that was strong enough to hold up to the tq.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rednck21
sweet, another "e know it all". you probably think rubi 44 and jk 44 gears are the same dont you? even without saying that, the problem isnt the gears, its the yoke...its round. its impossible to hold with your hands, 20" channel locks or a huge pipe wrench. becuse of its design, a tool had to be made to hold it and it took a few tries to find something that was strong enough to hold up to the tq.
8ft long peice of 1/8" angle iron with holes in it for different yokes. Also great to have around to beat off that pesky neighbor.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dougolupski
8ft long peice of 1/8" angle iron with holes in it for different yokes. Also great to have around to beat off that pesky neighbor.

sort of. ive got one of those for toy and ford yokes, but this one is a little different.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not really you can still get the bolt hole on the flange to line up to hit the peice of angle. I have done JK gears already on someone else's jeep and it works the same as it did on every other car I've done. But that said everyone has there own prefered method.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got my JK back yesterday, the 5.13's feel great so far and it's just way more enjoyable to drive.

I wanted to ask though, even before the gears and tires, when it was stock,, it always wanted to up shift even when your getting ready to go up a hill on a paved road just driving regular. It just seems to always like to go into OD whenever it can. SO even with the gears it sometime likes to down shift on inclines. Nothing to really complain about, shit my F250 Diesel does on some of the same hills and it has 500+ hp with 800+lbs. tq. on 35's....

Nate

Quick Reply: Who Has Done Gears ....actually Done Them