Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who has busted their D44s

Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKZinger
This resurrected thread has now degraded into pretty much useless information and a bunch of opinions.
Yea we better lock this thread, you have already given your OPINION and that is all that matters.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbmg
You CAN break anything. There is no dispute there but lets see how many folks have actually broken a 5.38 pinion, I assure you its not many when compared to how many are in use. Just like the D30 in stock form. if you run 37's there is this forum perpetuated myth that it will explode and your jeep will burn to the ground. The fact is when you look at the sampling size of people running this combination vs. those who have broke using this combination, the potential for breakage is there no question but its not a prolific problem. At some point you have just realize that there are a host of unknown factors in any reported breakage and to blame it entirely on a "weak component" that WILL break you have to look at the big picture. D30 is weak upgrade to 44, why not go prorock44, why go prorock44 when you can go 60? if your gonna go 60 why not 80? Why not Rockwell? Where do you stop in your quest to be "UNBREAKABLE"? I'm just applying a little common sense to this. Folks can obviously apply their own calculation as to what an acceptable cost vs. potential benefit they want to apply to going out and having a good time.
I have a friend that I wheel with frequently and he has broken his limited slip D35 3 times and his open D30 once with 33" BFG KM2's, where I've never broken anything in my JK Rubicon with D44's running 38.5x15.0 Boggers. Why? I'm sleeved, gusseted and RCV's in the front and TEN chromoly's in the back. With my big tires, I get through hard stuff with minimal throttle. My friend ends up hammering the throttle, grabbing gears, getting tires off the ground from excessive hop and other generally abusive stuff. Even then, I end up winching him because 33's just don't have the clearance.

Ok, with that said, If I go to 40x13.50M16's, or 39.5x13.50 Irok radials, am I going to break my beefed up D44's, when I wasn't breaking them with 38.5x15 Boggers that I ran places like Rubicon trail at 8 psi or snow runs where I run full throttle at redline for so long that I overheat and the computer starts shutting me down with limp mode?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phimosis
I have a friend that I wheel with frequently and he has broken his limited slip D35 3 times and his open D30 once with 33" BFG KM2's, where I've never broken anything in my JK Rubicon with D44's running 38.5x15.0 Boggers. Why? I'm sleeved, gusseted and RCV's in the front and TEN chromoly's in the back. With my big tires, I get through hard stuff with minimal throttle. My friend ends up hammering the throttle, grabbing gears, getting tires off the ground from excessive hop and other generally abusive stuff. Even then, I end up winching him because 33's just don't have the clearance.

Ok, with that said, If I go to 40x13.50M16's, or 39.5x13.50 Irok radials, am I going to break my beefed up D44's, when I wasn't breaking them with 38.5x15 Boggers that I ran places like Rubicon trail at 8 psi or snow runs where I run full throttle at redline for so long that I overheat and the computer starts shutting me down with limp mode?
D35 must be a tj im guessing if its a jeep. Those d35s are horrid, my buddy has one and wheels open, i think this year alone hes gone thru 3 spider gears.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz

D35 must be a tj im guessing if its a jeep. Those d35s are horrid, my buddy has one and wheels open, i think this year alone hes gone thru 3 spider gears.
Some JK Xs snd Saharas in very early '07 model year had D35s. Glad they got that out of their system before mine came down the line in Feb '07.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phimosis
There can never be a definitive answer to "will I break?" There are just to many factors involved. This is why I say people need to do their own cost vs. benefit analysis based on what they know about their vehicle and their wheeling habits. It all comes down to money and the value you place on spending it on your jeep. If you squeak by paycheck to paycheck dana 80's may not be ever in the cards for you so you will have to accept a lesser level of "insurance" against breakage. As was stated anything CAN break but obviously the more money you throw at something the more you can limit that to varying degrees.

If your plans for your jeep is a few fire roads a couple times a year, you will likely be throwing money away with significant upgrades BUT if your bleeding cash ,why not? If you aren't I would say don't let your "weak" parts scare you from ever venturing out of the driveway. Bottom line is money, planning, smart driving, terrain, unknown mechanical defects and installation problems all intersect someplace on the spectrum to determine if you will break but you will never be able to answer the question with 100% accuracy, just do what you can afford to do and let the question answer itself. No vehicle is unbreakable.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Some JK Xs snd Saharas in very early '07 model year had D35s. Glad they got that out of their system before mine came down the line in Feb '07.
yes, but if i recall it was a very small number correct?

Quick Reply: Who has busted their D44s