Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who has busted their D44s

Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont the RCV shafts use a Rzeppa joint, I cant imagine that the torque on that could exceed the torque on a U joint. It would seem to me that you would blow up that joint before you bust a R and P. Im not in complete agreement that their shafts are indestructable, what the hell are they using, some foreign indestructable metal.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

wayoflife,you know your jk's...i love this forum due to the fact that we can really find out what works,what breaks,and help one another..this what driving a jeep is all about...
Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

As far as the RCV shafts go I firmly believe that it Is important to run 1310 and not 1350 driveshafts. You'll blow out one of these U-joints before damaging the R&P. Going to D60 is ultimately the best solution as WOL indicated but, now you have stronger axels, shafts and R&P, where is your weak point now? We are starting to se tcase failures. We ALL know that wheeling hard has it's price, be prepared to pay regularly to play occassionally.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
As far as the RCV shafts go I firmly believe that it Is important to run 1310 and not 1350 driveshafts. You'll blow out one of these U-joints before damaging the R&P. Going to D60 is ultimately the best solution as WOL indicated but, now you have stronger axels, shafts and R&P, where is your weak point now? We are starting to se tcase failures. We ALL know that wheeling hard has it's price, be prepared to pay regularly to play occassionally.
i hear ya on using a weaker u-joint as a kind of fuse but honestly, i really don't think that running a 1350 is the cause of the t-case failures. trust me, i am one of the guys that has gone through a t-case and was with trail bud when his exploded on him. in just about every case that i have personally seen or heard of, the t-case failures have all had driveshaft vibration issues before hand. based on what i have seen and experienced, it is my firm believe that this vibration is what ultimately compromises the t-case.

having said that, even running a 1310 drive shaft, it has been my experience that you are more likely to break a u-joint on a front shaft or the shaft itself well before you break a drive shaft u-joint. needless to say, if you're gonna put a fuse anywhere, i personally would prefer to put it where it would be most effective - ie, the axle.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-20-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Fair enough, my thoughts here are that I would prefer to break a driveshaft joint and just remove it if need be. You could still drive home safe without a replacement. If you break an Axel shaft U-joint and don't have a replacement you're SOL. I'm not looking to argue here with anyone, just atopic for debate and discussion. Like I said before a D60 is ultimately your best option.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
Fair enough, my thoughts here are that I would prefer to break a driveshaft joint and just remove it if need be. You could still drive home safe without a replacement. If you break an Axel shaft U-joint and don't have a replacement you're SOL. I'm not looking to argue here with anyone, just atopic for debate and discussion. Like I said before a D60 is ultimately your best option.
i hear ya and i'm not trying to argue either - honestly. however, i can assure you that if you break an axle shaft or u-joint and don't have a replacement, you are perfectly fine. trust me, i have personally broken front shafts and have helped many others who have broken theirs on the trail too. all you need to do is pull the broken shaft, plug up the axle tube (an off road evolution SBS plug is best but a rag or sock will do the trick too) and, you're on your way again. it's easy to do and you're definitely not SOL.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if there are actually people out there who claim are really wheeling super hard with 40" tires and supposedly have no problems with their dana 44's, i'd have to say they are full of it or have no idea what wheeling really hard is. running 37" toyo's on my dana 44's, i have gone through 2 rear lockers, 1 front locker and broke a front chromoly drive shaft at the shaft - NOT the u-joint. this break ultimately ruined my entire front axle and that's when i upgraded to a dynatrac prorock 60 front axle and 40" toyo's. unfortuantely, i could not afford to upgrade the rear yet and this proved to be a mistake as in no time at all, i ended up blowing out my rear ring gear, in the freezing rain and with 10 miles of the dusy ershim left to go.

now, if there is any hype going on, it's with all the people thinking that beefing up their axle tubes with sleeves is gonna make everything okay. and, no offense meant to those of you running CV joint front shafts but, while these are super strong, i personally would prefer to break a u-joint than an axle shaft. at least a broken u-joint is easy to fix and won't do any additional harm to your axle.

if you are seriously thinking about running 40" tires or, really do wheel your jeep hard, i would highly recommend getting a set of 60's. trust me, i speak from experience.

exactly
This is obviously an old post, but I just wanted to say thank you to Wayoflife for all the info you post and for running this site. When I went to Google, the info I needed popped up...... Boom! And I gues I won't be doing 40's on Dana 44's!

For others that search and find this thread in the future like I did, I have been successfully running 38.5x15.0x15 Boggers on a 2012 Rubicon auto, 5.13 gears, sleeved and gusseted front with RCV's, Ten Chromoly's in rear and Tom Wood drive shafts, with no problems. I've ran Rubicon, Dusy, lots of mud and snow, and no significant breakage. My driving style is: take the easy line through an obstacle, play it smart, use only as much throttle as needed to get through, but if hammering it what it takes to make it, I'm not scared to hammer it. I was thinking of going to 40's, but in a radial hybrid like MTR's or SS M-16's, but I think this thread makes it pretty clear. I'm already pushing my luck with 38x15.0 Boggers.

Thanks again,

-Phim

Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phimosis
This is obviously an old post, but I just wanted to say thank you to Wayoflife for all the info you post and for running this site. When I went to Google, the info I needed popped up...... Boom! And I gues I won't be doing 40's on Dana 44's! For others that search and find this thread in the future like I did, I have been successfully running 38.5x15.0x15 Boggers on a 2012 Rubicon auto, 5.13 gears, sleeved and gusseted front with RCV's, Ten Chromoly's in rear and Tom Wood drive shafts, with no problems. I've ran Rubicon, Dusy, lots of mud and snow, and no significant breakage. My driving style is: take the easy line through an obstacle, play it smart, use only as much throttle as needed to get through, but if hammering it what it takes to make it, I'm not scared to hammer it. I was thinking of going to 40's, but in a radial hybrid like MTR's or SS M-16's, but I think this thread makes it pretty clear. I'm already pushing my luck with 38x15.0 Boggers. Thanks again, -Phim
He isn't involved with this forum anymore.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JE8154
He isn't involved with this forum anymore.
Oh wow. Good to know. I haven't been on the forums for well over a year because my Jeep has been working nicely. :-)

Have the posting rules changed, or are things still overly strict?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phimosis

Oh wow. Good to know. I haven't been on the forums for well over a year because my Jeep has been working nicely. :-)

Have the posting rules changed, or are things still overly strict?
Much better now..... Cant stand that wayalife site / owner

Quick Reply: Who has busted their D44s