Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who has 35s on 373 gears?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 09 JK with 373s and 35's and have no prob cause i got the hypertech max energy and set everything up with that. before i reflashed i had a problem even keeping it in 6th gear, now i have n problems and seem to have plenty of power. I would get the hypertech if you plan on 35's cause it is more then a power thing it will reset everything for the gears you have and the true tire size and even the gas you want to run.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JayhawkJeep
Ran 3.73's with 35's as I saved to regear. It is do able especially if you have a superchips but just make sure you turn your OD off.
I ran 35's and 3.73's w/ my auto unlimited for 6 months....O/D off at all times and Superchips Flashpaq is a must. I didn't really have any issues with the power and driveability. I'm in Seattle at sea level....around town and flat hwy was not bad either.

The killer was treks through the mountains, passes, steep inclines, etc. This put me in the far right lane praying to hang on to 50 miles an hour and hanging out with the 18-wheelers.

I recently upgraded to 5.13's.

Now I have O/D on at all times. I just did my usual journey through the Cascades, and was pleasently suprised to find myself flying up the steep mountain pass, while passing others, at about 75, holding at about 3000+ rpms, and enjoying every minute of it.

So, in my amateur conclusion, 35's / auto / 3.73, is totally doable, considering your altitude, terrain, and driving habits......but once you regear, you'll fully understand the difference and what you were missing.

....either way, I'd still go with 35's regardless.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like I would probably be better off buying 33s and by the time theyre toast, my warranty will be as well. Then, the 35s and 4.56 or 5.13. I dont know what the "tow package" includes, but apparently just having a receiver doesnt get 4.10s from birth..... Now, anyone know of a true 33?
Old 11-25-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 6spd, max energy, with 35's and even on flat land it sucks. We have steep bridges around here and I hate to go over with it. Off road sucks even more. I have 4.88 sitting in my shop now fixin to install soon.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

most of the super swampers will be a true 33
Old 12-03-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default go for the 4:88s at least

I have a 2007 Unlimited Automatic running 35" Toyos. Originally I had the 4.10 in it. after about 2000 miles I had enough and after researching as much as possible - this was about the time when the gears were first being made so not as much info as there is now - I went for the 4:88s. I went for the 4:88s because there was a lot of talk of one less tooth on the 5:11 and that made it weaker. I also ran across a post that messed with my head a bit when it described how all the extra revolutions of the engine would make it wear faster when running the 5:11 gears.

I do mostly city driving but a lot of freeway in UT which is 75mph. It is not bad with no wind and no hills. If you have wind or hills you better get some momentum to make it over and forget OD. You could also feel the engine really trying to work when faced with a hill or in the wind. I can't help but think my gas mileage was suffering because I had to be into the pedal so much to keep the thing moving.

If I could do it again, first I still definitely would upgrade from the 3:??. I can't even imagine what that would feel like. I would need/want more than what that could offer. Second I would have went for the 5:11s. I am confident my gas mileage would have improved and overall driving experience would have been better.

also, I have a CAI and exhaust but no chip. Hope that helps. go for the gears at least the 4:88s!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Hello everyone,
This is my first post as you can tell. I just bought a 2010 Unlimited and I am loving it. I bought it completely stock and in under a week I have already lifted it and put 315/70/17's on it. I have an auto and the 3.73 gears and I cruz to work at 80mph with relative ease. From what I have expeirenced with my JK you should get the 35's, a Superchip, muffler, and CAI. Just my .2.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnsonjd8
I would get the hypertech if you plan on 35's cause it is more then a power thing it will reset everything for the gears you have and the true tire size and even the gas you want to run.
Superchips does the same thing!

Quick Reply: Who has 35s on 373 gears?