Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who has 35s on 373 gears?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has 35s on 373 gears?

Ive been reading alot of threads on here about re-gearing and tire sizes. My buddy at work has a JK (2dr) with 6 speed, does a lot of crawling and runs 488 with his 35s. I have no plans of wheeling (I know this is blasphemous) and dont know if I NEED to re-gear. I am (i guess) wanting to make a "mall crawler" as it seems they are called. I live in the burbs of Omaha where there are hills (not mountainous by any measure). I want 35s cuz they look better than 33s on an unlimited, but only have 7k on her and dont want to totally screw my warranty by regearing. Any other mall crawlers running 35s on 373 without hating life? I have an auto BTW
Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just turn the overdrive off as soon as you get the engine running and you will be good to go to the mall. If you have a good tailwind or going down hill you could use OD.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 35's Auto in a 2010 JKU w/3.73s and am using Superchips. I do not have much of any issue with it as it is and I have mountains here. Sure it is hard to maintain 80 MPH, but I do fine in the city 45 MPH and lower.

I am thinking of regearing next summer, if we do not buy the wife a new SUV, but that would be only to tow the pop-up camper, not for DD to work and around town.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

Ran 3.73's with 35's as I saved to regear. It is do able especially if you have a superchips but just make sure you turn your OD off.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Yep, I have been running 3.73 gears with 35s for almost 2 years and yea it does kinda suck on the highway but it works. I plan to regear to 5.13 in the next year or so before I go to 37s. Like said, turn OD off for sure or else your auto will always be searching for the right gear.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default I have 35s with 3.73.

Originally Posted by 2saharas
Ive been reading alot of threads on here about re-gearing and tire sizes. My buddy at work has a JK (2dr) with 6 speed, does a lot of crawling and runs 488 with his 35s. I have no plans of wheeling (I know this is blasphemous) and dont know if I NEED to re-gear. I am (i guess) wanting to make a "mall crawler" as it seems they are called. I live in the burbs of Omaha where there are hills (not mountainous by any measure). I want 35s cuz they look better than 33s on an unlimited, but only have 7k on her and dont want to totally screw my warranty by regearing. Any other mall crawlers running 35s on 373 without hating life? I have an auto BTW
I have 35s with 3.73 gears. When driving on the highway it is heavy on the pedal. I am thinking also to re gearing this summer.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default I have 35s with 3.73.

Originally Posted by JaxLoki
I have 35's Auto in a 2010 JKU w/3.73s and am using Superchips. I do not have much of any issue with it as it is and I have mountains here. Sure it is hard to maintain 80 MPH, but I do fine in the city 45 MPH and lower.

I am thinking of regearing next summer, if we do not buy the wife a new SUV, but that would be only to tow the pop-up camper, not for DD to work and around town.
When using a super chip did you gain more horse power? Which brand did you use? Are you happy with the chip?
Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

I ran 35's and 3:73's for a while,, like mentioned,, get in,, start the engine and turn off OD. It will become second nature LOL!!
Just regeared to 5:13's less than a month ago however. Now I don't turn OD off
Old 11-25-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pentagon
When using a super chip did you gain more horse power? Which brand did you use? Are you happy with the chip?
if you decide not to get gears a superchip flashpaq is a must in my mind, you can program your computer for the larger tires and actually get up a hill without flooring it. it isnt a significant increase in horsepower but you can defenetly feel it and it gets you better mpgs. Also get a tranny cooler if you dont already have one or you will end up like me and burn up your tranny.these jeeps dont like 35s.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran mine on 3:73's for a while. drivability is fine, but I would definitely advise a trans temp gauge or aeroforce gauge at a minimum, and ideally a tranny cooler and gauge. Atleast with the gauge you will be able to avoid a meltdown before it happens and the cooler is good insurance. Superchip is nice (I have one) but it will not keep your transmission cool. As others have said, turn the OD off.

Quick Reply: Who has 35s on 373 gears?