Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who can get me a deal on 5.13 gears

Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who can get me a deal on 5.13 gears

i have a sahara wth the 44 rear 30 front
looking to get 5.13s ordered next week
thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
i have a sahara wth the 44 rear 30 front
looking to get 5.13s ordered next week
thanks
So far I've found that Northridge has the best prices. They posted the following on the board:

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
We just got a huge shipment of Ring and pinions in stock! The highest quality ring and pinions on the market and now can save you money!!

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...NSTALL&cat=277

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...ERHAUL&cat=277
I have a question that ties into this subject. I'm ready to buy the Northridge parts, but the local installer at Attitude Performance in Arlington Heights, IL said, "I have used gears from Northridge and have not had good luck with them." Attitude's price is $400+ more for Yukon gears, which are the only ones they sell. After inquiring about the high price and comparing to gears available on Quadratec as well, he said, "I wil not install superior or usa alloy gear sets."

Most comments I've found tend to speak highly of Northridge gears and Superior, yet Attitude Performance is insistent that Yukon is the "cat's meow." Are Yukon gears the only reliable ones out there? Are they worth $400+ more than what Northridge is selling?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most gears are made by the same people and rebranded and put in fancy boxes.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Most gears are made by the same people and rebranded and put in fancy boxes.
I made the same observation. The argument in return is that although parts are made in the same place they are not made with the same quality (e.g. why they are cheaper). I'm told they can use different steel, the parts may not meet quality specs for a named brand, but be ok for someone else, etc.

A good example is that Yukon states their "ring and pinion sets are made exclusively of 8620 steel for high strength and long life." Not everyone seems to make this claim. Are all gears, including Northridge, made of 8620 steel? Is the quality coming out of a factory different depending on who is commissioning them to build the part?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redx08
Randys Ring and Pinion sells yukon gears for 179 per gear set, so about 400 is right once you factor in tax and shipping.
I wish they were charging $400. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Their quote is $400+ more for the Yukon gears than anyone else I've found. Prices on everything else is higher too. Here's the quote form Attitude Performance:

900.00 parts youkon
700.00 labor for gear install
50.00 oil and misc
895.00 ARB rear locker
269.00 ARB compressor
252.00 to install the ARB lockers at the same time as gears
---------
$3,066 for the install!!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

sh*t thats alot of money hahah
Old 09-04-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

I went ahead and bought my gears (5.13) and front and rear ARB lockers from Northridge because of their sale.

My local 4 wheel place is doing the install.

I saved about 450 bucks (7% discount and no sales tax) on the materials, and I'm paying:

$640 per diff for the gear and ARB locker install.

So $1280 for both.

Then I have the ARB compressor for $218, and the install of this is $280.

I'm having them do some trick things with the compressor, putting it inside the rear well through the passenger brake light, then running lines from there, wiring, etc.

I also have the RE stainless steel airlines being run.

But with compressor & labor, I'm at about 1800 bucks...

I think your price isn't too bad. Does this include coming back at 500 miles and opening them up for inspection and refilling with gear oil? Mine does.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkerr
I made the same observation. The argument in return is that although parts are made in the same place they are not made with the same quality (e.g. why they are cheaper). I'm told they can use different steel, the parts may not meet quality specs for a named brand, but be ok for someone else, etc.

A good example is that Yukon states their "ring and pinion sets are made exclusively of 8620 steel for high strength and long life." Not everyone seems to make this claim. Are all gears, including Northridge, made of 8620 steel? Is the quality coming out of a factory different depending on who is commissioning them to build the part?
You could call different vendors and see what steel they are made of.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seairland
I went ahead and bought my gears (5.13) and
I think your price isn't too bad. Does this include coming back at 500 miles and opening them up for inspection and refilling with gear oil? Mine does.
$1800 is a good price. Good job on finding an installer that will work with you. Attitude Performance won't install any parts they do not sell. The markup of over $1200 bucks is outrageous. On top of that, I have to add IL & Cook County sales tax at 10.25%! I'll let you know if they change their quote. In the meantime, I'm looking elsewhere.

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You could call different vendors and see what steel they are made of.
Great idea. I'll post on the Northridge discussion and find out what they say.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkerr
$1800 is a good price. Good job on finding an installer that will work with you. Attitude Performance won't install any parts they do not sell. The markup of over $1200 bucks is outrageous. On top of that, I have to add IL & Cook County sales tax at 10.25%! I'll let you know if they change their quote. In the meantime, I'm looking elsewhere.

Great idea. I'll post on the Northridge discussion and find out what they say.
What a joke, I would take my business elsewhere!

Quick Reply: Who can get me a deal on 5.13 gears