Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Whirring noise with 5.13 G2 gears installed

Old 02-01-2015, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring noise with 5.13 G2 gears installed

I just purchased a 2014 JK with 5.13 G2 gears and a BDS long arm body kit installed. Im getting a humming or whirring noise with acceleration. If I let off the throttle and cruise it stops. If I barely mash the gas pedal it comes right back. Its what I consider fairly loud. I can easily hear it over the radio, wind, and off-road tires humming. I also get a faint whiff of burning like a parking brake left on when i get out after driving. Yes, i checked the parking brake.... Someone is gonna ask.

The previous owner was aware of this when he still had the Jeep (denies smelling anything). He had the shop that installed them put in another new set of gears. Of course, they still made the noise. The owner appeased him by showing him that his Jeep with G2 gears also made the same noise (yea, i know) and he wrote it off as just being loud aftermarket gears.

I have researched and found good info. I believe I know what the issue is but would like to here some feedback from you guys. Im taking it in for inspection sometime this week when schedule permits. No, I didn't have it pre-inspected. Yes, I should have. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

I'd take the diffs apart and inspect the gears yourself. If there are no missing chunks or shavings, and the diff fluid wasn't metallic in color then I would go to G2's website and make sure to refill the diff with the fluid that they suggest and to the proper amount. Sometimes the shops just throw whatever fluid they use in other vehicles into very picky Jeeps. (Happened to my old man's Jeep, and that is why I'll always do my own work)
Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Waldo. Good info and pretty much what I've read elsewhere. Hoping not much in the way of shavings, but if it is gears that aren't properly installed does this mean starting over with a new set? Does it depend on how bad they got worn? Previous ownedrove around 3500 miles with them like this.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

That's a tough call without seeing them. What do you know about the shop that did the install? Is there a guarantee or warranty that you could pull on them if the gears are trashed?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 5.13 G2's in my rig and there is no gear whine/howl.
I would suspect there is more going on that fluid type.
I had a Yukon set in the rear previously, they were installed incorrectly (inspection indicated it was most likely the crush sleeve), they began to howl under deceleration. I drove them 125 miles and they were toast.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Waldo_88
That's a tough call without seeing them. What do you know about the shop that did the install? Is there a guarantee or warranty that you could pull on them if the gears are trashed?
The shop is out of Texas. I had it shipped to Florida. I don't know much about it. I'll have to inquire about the warranty. I would be surprised if it's transferrable, not to mention the cost to have it shipped twice would negate a lot of what I would pay to have them redone. All good questions.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I have 5.13 G2's in my rig and there is no gear whine/howl.
I would suspect there is more going on that fluid type.
I had a Yukon set in the rear previously, they were installed incorrectly (inspection indicated it was most likely the crush sleeve), they began to howl under deceleration. I drove them 125 miles and they were toast.

Good luck.
Thanks Mike. I feel better now. Kidding. I have a feeling I'll be replacing gears. Thx for the info.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you felt the diff after driving to see if it's excessively hot ? That noise in a diff
Usually means something with pinion bearings...
Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

I havent but Im guessing they would be toasty. Would it give off a smell? Could explain the smell I mentioned above.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

From Randys Ring & Pinion:

Technical Help

Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.
When I installed my gear set it was quiet, but it's getting loud with time. What happened?
It is most likely a result of the gear not being broken in properly or driven "too hard, too soon." When this happens, the gear oil breaks down and the resulting temperature inside the differential causes the face of the gear to wear away exposing the softer metal underneath. When this happens the gear will wear down more and more until the gear completely fails.
What is that clunking sound I hear while turning?
A clunking sound that only occurs while turning is a result of broken or damaged spider gears. Spider gears do not move at all while traveling in a straight line. If this is the case then the spiders will need to be replaced and possibly the carrier as well. Be sure to inspect the ring and pinion to be sure broken debris did not damage it as well.

And if you want to pop the cover and take a look, read through this one to get an idea of what you are seeing.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/

Quick Reply: Whirring noise with 5.13 G2 gears installed