Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where's this rub coming from?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's this rub coming from?

In the last week or so, I've noticed an *occasional* metal-on-metal sound, similar to a worn brake pad coming from my left rear wheel well. (not a high-pitched squeal, but definitely rotational) I hear it most when I'm braking hard in a straight line or making a sharp-ish left turn at speed. I also can reproduce it at low speed by cutting hard right.

Looking underneath (see photo below), I see where the dirt is disturbed from the sway bar link, but it's not severe enough to have cut through the paint yet. I don't see how it could make contact with the wheel without hitting the tire, too, and surely I'd see or hear something if that were happening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rub.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	643158

Any ideas? I'm going to put it on jack stands and run it through some articulation this weekend, but I thought someone here might be able to point me in the right direction first.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably the Rubber brake line making contact with the sway bar link. But thats just my guess.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like the brake line would just about the only thing that could rub on it. since its not through the paint ide say it has to be something pretty soft / flexable.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were metal on metal it would be shiny by now. Check your rotors make sure they are not warped and check your calipers to see if they have any marks on them

*Edit also check to see if you calipers are tightened down if the bolts are loose the caliper can move and make braking sound horrible.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 04-08-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always but some grease on it and cycle it thru it's travel and see where the contact is at by where the grease will be.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check your dust shield for any type of debris. I has a similar issue.

As for using grease on the rubbing area I would strongly discourage it. Mainly because the grease will attract dirt and rocks and if the sway bar link is rubbing the brake line you will wear a hole in it and have bigger issues.

Quick Reply: Where's this rub coming from?