Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where's all the 17X10 wheels at?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost all Pro Comp wheels come in a 17x9.

FWIW. I like the 12.5 wide tires better than the 13.5. The 13.5s have a tendency to follow the grooves of the road a lot more and dont seem to wear as well. Ive run both and like the 12.5s much better on the road. If you want mileage you should look at BFGs. They last a lot longet than most other tires. Ive gotten as many as 50k miles on the MT with 1/2 the miles being offroad on a Land Cruiser. Im loving my KM2s on and offroad.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kntr
Almost all Pro Comp wheels come in a 17x9.

FWIW. I like the 12.5 wide tires better than the 13.5. The 13.5s have a tendency to follow the grooves of the road a lot more and dont seem to wear as well. Ive run both and like the 12.5s much better on the road. If you want mileage you should look at BFGs. They last a lot longet than most other tires. Ive gotten as many as 50k miles on the MT with 1/2 the miles being offroad on a Land Cruiser. Im loving my KM2s on and offroad.
Could those characteristics possibly be biproducts of a wider tire on the same size rim? I mean, if the wheel were to widen in proportion to the tire is it possible the characteristic of the handling would be the same as your 12.5/9 combo?

I understand that having a wheel too narrow on the wide tire will change the characteristics to the sidewall as well as effect the foot print the tire makes contacting the ground. This might be splitting hairs now, but ive always understood that the closer in width you can keep your wheel to your tire is better.

As far as the bfg's go how resistant are they to heat? Do they get really soft in the summer?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17x10's look GREAT when crawling the mall!!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by style_front
Could those characteristics possibly be biproducts of a wider tire on the same size rim? I mean, if the wheel were to widen in proportion to the tire is it possible the characteristic of the handling would be the same as your 12.5/9 combo?

I understand that having a wheel too narrow on the wide tire will change the characteristics to the sidewall as well as effect the foot print the tire makes contacting the ground. This might be splitting hairs now, but ive always understood that the closer in width you can keep your wheel to your tire is better.

As far as the bfg's go how resistant are they to heat? Do they get really soft in the summer?
When I ran a 13.5" wide tire, I ran a 10" wide wheel. The wide tires tend to follow the grooves in the street more.

BFGs have been winning Baja races for years. Heat shouldnt be a problem. Im in Montana so I dont worry about it.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kntr
When I ran a 13.5" wide tire, I ran a 10" wide wheel. The wide tires tend to follow the grooves in the street more.

BFGs have been winning Baja races for years. Heat shouldnt be a problem. Im in Montana so I dont worry about it.
I'm in hawaii, I'm afraid if I get mud terrains they won't last. I could be wrong though, when I talk to the local 4wheelparts store I'll see what some of their guys have to say on the issue.

Quick Reply: Where's all the 17X10 wheels at?