Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where to Start?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to Start?

So at the moment we have a Stock 13' JKUR. We just joined a local Jeep Club and look forward to wheeling. Our budget doesn't allow us to do everything we want to do all at once so I need to space the mods out. Here is a list of what we are planning. I would love some opinions on the order of importance you all think we should tackle them. The order I have them listed is what we are thinking... I will admit that I waiver on a few, thus the request for your opinion. Each phase will be in one year... So the last is three years from now

First - I'm thinking of going with under-belly protection. Since wheeling will begin on stock susp. I am thinking of going with this: Skid Plates- Complete System (4 door JK)

Second - Bumpers, I want to go with LoD(s) Mid-Length Signature series front and Full rear, without tire carrier. Although I am am going to add the TeraFlex HD tire carrier when tires are up-sized. I want one action to open the gate and prefer the more stock look. I have this b4 the lift for the winch mount. (A winch would be done at the same time.)

Last - Lift and Tires. I am not looking for anything big here. Something between 2-3" I waiver on 33" or 35" tires. I like the looks of the 35's but we will be using our Jeep 90% on road, and my wife has to jump into it now... I do know I want a full suspension system, with control arms. I have spoken to my dealer and (in writing) "if I use a Mopar lift, and let them inspect my installation after it's on, they will cover everything in the Warranty". This is important because the dealer I purchased from has an unlimited power train warranty. We will NOT be trimming fenders. My wife and I both prefer the full fender look. We also like the new Rubi wheels (I know many of you don't). So, we will be using spacers and stock wheels.

So there it is... Wacha' think?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

If it were me, I wouldn't start the mods until I found out what's needed. Wheel it for a while and see what the limitations of the stock Rubicon are. It will give you an opportunity to save up some more cash for when you start the mods.

Tell us about the unlimited powertrain warranty you mentioned? How long is it? Did you purchase it, or did the dealer throw it into the deal?

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-21-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If it were me, I wouldn't start the mods until I found out what's needed. Wheel it for a while and see what the limitations of the stock Rubicon are. It will give you an opportunity to save up some more cash for when you start the mods.

Tell us about the unlimited powertrain warranty you mentioned? How long is it? Did you purchase it, or did the dealer throw it into the deal?
This is one of the reasons I put the skid plate system first. While the bumpers and lift and tires offer advantages that I may not need. The skids are kind of a preemptive strike. By the time I know there is a limitation with out them I have likely ripped a hole in something!

The dealer I purchased from offers unlimited lifetime powertain warranties to the original purchaser with all of their vehicles. It is basically an insurance policy that they have. It was at no charge to me. It is simply something they offer. (And before the "You paid for it" remarks fly). I ordered my Rubi and paid $600 below invoice. If I paid for it, it wasn't much and I would've anyway. I do have to keep proof of my scheduled maintenance, but I do that anyway. That's it. If 20 years from now and with 500k miles on the engine it lets go, I get a new one at no cost. They report the service to their insurance company and get reimbursed for the service to me from them. To my knowledge they are the only dealership offering this deal in the OH/KY/IN tri-state. And they offered the best price on my order! I suppose there is actually a low risk with most people selling or swapping cars every 3-4 years.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you have a good plan. It's hard to second guess someone who wants to start out with skid plate protection as there 1st mod. 90% of the guys go for the lift and wheels first because you get instant satisfaction with the way the Jeep looks and it still gives more clearance for wheeling. But you can't beat extra skid protection if you feel you need it. Go with what your'e most comfortable with. No choice is wrong.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now I gotta ask who's your dealer? I'm in Ohio, and I'm willing to drive a little for a good deal.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OverfedZombie
OK, now I gotta ask who's your dealer? I'm in Ohio, and I'm willing to drive a little for a good deal.

Thanks.
Walker Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep
I dealt with Bill Fisher, he takes care of all the Internet Sales. Honestly, one of the best and nicest sales people I have ever known... They were my last stop. I emailed on a whim and his first price was better than all the others, They are pretty firm on that price though. Their trade prices are crappy and they didn't budge so I sold my trade outright.
Link: Walker Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram | Dayton's Exclusive Warranty Forever Dealer | Centerville, Dayton, Kettering, Miamisburg, Springboro and Middletown | New & Used Car Dealer
Old 11-21-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jnabird333
So at the moment we have a Stock 13' JKUR. We just joined a local Jeep Club and look forward to wheeling. Our budget doesn't allow us to do everything we want to do all at once so I need to space the mods out. Here is a list of what we are planning. I would love some opinions on the order of importance you all think we should tackle them. The order I have them listed is what we are thinking... I will admit that I waiver on a few, thus the request for your opinion. Each phase will be in one year... So the last is three years from now

First - I'm thinking of going with under-belly protection. Since wheeling will begin on stock susp. I am thinking of going with this: Skid Plates- Complete System (4 door JK)

Second - Bumpers, I want to go with LoD(s) Mid-Length Signature series front and Full rear, without tire carrier. Although I am am going to add the TeraFlex HD tire carrier when tires are up-sized. I want one action to open the gate and prefer the more stock look. I have this b4 the lift for the winch mount. (A winch would be done at the same time.)

Last - Lift and Tires. I am not looking for anything big here. Something between 2-3" I waiver on 33" or 35" tires. I like the looks of the 35's but we will be using our Jeep 90% on road, and my wife has to jump into it now... I do know I want a full suspension system, with control arms. I have spoken to my dealer and (in writing) "if I use a Mopar lift, and let them inspect my installation after it's on, they will cover everything in the Warranty". This is important because the dealer I purchased from has an unlimited power train warranty. We will NOT be trimming fenders. My wife and I both prefer the full fender look. We also like the new Rubi wheels (I know many of you don't). So, we will be using spacers and stock wheels.

So there it is... Wacha' think?
I did the armor first, then tires and I'm just about to do the lift and then I'll either replace the front bumper or put rock rails on

Matthew
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the armor first. Next do the lift and tires, then any bumpers or extras. That's the order to do things.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

The skids aren't really necessary if you are rock crawling. If you are rock racing then yes. Really the only thing not covered by stock skids that is vulnerable is the oil pan and you would have to fall on a big rock to hit it. We run in big rocks all the time and I don't know of anyone in our club with aftermarket skids on a 12 or newer and no one has had an issue.

First I would get rock rails. The Rubi rails are a good start but the sides are still magnets for damage. Along with that I would relocate the steering stabilizer. It is fairly delicate and hangs down below everything waiting to get smashed. If you are getting into rocks your tie rod is the next issue. It's very easy to slide off a rock and bend it. With those three modifications you can do a lot with a new JK.

Before you hit the trails you should have a good set of tools, recovery gear and I would suggest an air compressor. That along with the basic maps, first aid and emergency stuff is pretty essential to being responsible.

Most of the other items like lift, tires, bumpers are going to depend on what type of wheeling you will be doing and I would suggest actually doing it first to see what you like. I originally thought I wanted a trail rig to explore mines and go camping. Two months later I was building a full on rock crawler. The end goal is night and day different.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've yet to see a need for fancy bumpers unless you want a winch.

Quick Reply: Where to Start?