Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where to run wiring for third brake light to tire carrier?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to run wiring for third brake light to tire carrier?

Finally got a new tire carrier/bumper. I'll post about it in a new thread once I get this detail figured out.

I have a third brake light that will mount in the middle of the spare tire. I'm trying to figure out how to run the wiring for the third brake light. I'd prefer it not go through the tailgate at all. Preferably exiting bottom passenger side of the body/tailgate.

My idea was to run the wiring down the kick panel on the right side by the tailgate, then put a small hole in the gasket in the bottom right of the tailgate and run it through there. Any better ideas on where to run the wiring?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the wiring for the third brake light should already be in the tail gate. Your oem carrier had a brake light. If you want to add a wire to feed the license plate light, you can tap into the tail lamp wire. That's what I did. I tapped the white/purple. I ran my new wire with the oem tail gate wires.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3rdBL Wiring 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	5786
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	609797  
Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This ^.

There's a plug for the factory HMSL behind the vented plastic panel on the driver side of the tailgate. Clip off & solder + to +, - to - of your new harness. Route through the factory plug hole.

Quick Reply: Where to run wiring for third brake light to tire carrier?