Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where to mount winch solenoid pack?

Old 09-22-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount winch solenoid pack?

I really like the JK's ability to mount a winch in between the front frame rails. This keeps the winch down low and barely blocks the grille. I want to get a stubby bumper and a remote solenoid winch. This will keep the winch as low as possible. Where is everyone mounting their solenoid packs? Is there room to mount one inside a stubby? I can use a remote plug for the winch controller. Lets see some pics?

Thanks,
Old 09-22-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess it probably depends on which winch you put in and what winch plate you use, but to mount a Warn M8000 in the Shrockworks stubby you need to get the Warn bracket #26368 ($10.99 at 4WP). If you use the Warn winch plate I don't think you need to purchase the additional bracket.

There is not enough room inside to keep the solenoid pack inside the bumper.

Here's pics:

Old 09-22-2007, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OffTopic
There is not enough room inside to keep the solenoid pack inside the bumper.
I beg to differ ...but you will need to fab up your own bracket. Here are some pics of mine:

The bumper's actually finished now (powder coated and everything) but I don't have any more recent pics...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
I beg to differ ...but you will need to fab up your own bracket. Here are some pics of mine:
By inside, I meant inside the Shrockworks stubby. Guess I never really thought about putting it behind the grill.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

mmccurdy...any more info on that bracket you fabbed up?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

What kind of info are you looking for? It was pretty straightforward, just took a piece of steel bar, probably 1/8" thick by 2" wide (not sure on the exact dimensions, but you can get an idea from the pics), popped the grill off, and found that convenient piece of square tube cross member to mount it up. I didn't even have to drill -- there was already a hole in the perfect spot that was not being used. It's a bit of a tight fit, but it seems solid and hasn't given me any trouble since.

Edit (sorry, just saw your PM): The bracket is MIG welded -- I just used my friends cheapo Lincoln that he got at Home Depot. It doesn't need to be terribly strong since it only needs to hold its own weight, and it's pretty tight in there with the grille installed. I don't have a lot of experience with cold weld products, but it's not inconceivable that one might work in this application.

Last edited by mmccurdy; 01-08-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

I mounted my pack under the hood in my cj on the fender well been meaning to run switches to inside the cab area to not have to open the hood. I would most likely do the same with the jk
Old 01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
I beg to differ ...but you will need to fab up your own bracket.

The bumper's actually finished now (powder coated and everything) but I don't have any more recent pics...
A real slick idea. Kudo's! Now how about some fresh pics?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Thanks Mccurrdy...I'm gonna give it a shot when the bumper gets hear.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking at purchasing a M8000 and I would want to mount the solenoid behind the grill, but I was also thinking about doing the gutter guard grill mod. But that would prevent me from getting to the solenoid… Maybe I could mount the solenoid with the remote connection pointed up so I could get to it by opening the hood… Would there be any problems with installing it that way? Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Where to mount winch solenoid pack?