Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where to mount resistor for LED front turn signals (it gets hot)

Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount resistor for LED front turn signals (it gets hot)

Where are you guys mounting these? I turned mine on unmounted and they get hot in 10 seconds. I was going to two side tape them to metal but that seems like a bad idea now.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

How hot? Is this from a kit or something? If its hot that you can't hold it then there's too much current you need a bigger resistor.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

They are 6ohm 25 watt that came with the leds. I see a lot of 6 ohm 50 watt online will that make a huge difference in heat?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had mine 2 side taped and it melted off in no time at all. I have since removed these from my jeep cuz I didn't like how the back was open. The way the stock lights seal up seams like a much smater decision at least in the winter months. Sucks cuz I love the look of these LED
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Luckily for me I live in the south then!!!
I thought about putting some dieletric grease in the socket, I did place the socket draining down so no water will pool in it. Also since this is not an everyday driver then I am not worried about that problem it is where and hot to mount these resistors and maybe if I need new ones.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Resistors reduce voltage by turning it into heat. 50watt is twice as much as a 25watt, it will be less hot, I don't know how much though, I've never been burned by a resistor, seen them blow up though.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canibeat
Resistors reduce voltage by turning it into heat. 50watt is twice as much as a 25watt, it will be less hot, I don't know how much though, I've never been burned by a resistor, seen them blow up though.
I guess I am stupid...

Won't a 25 watt resistor basically use 25 watts of power, so that would equal the load of one standard blinker/tailight bulb. And the 50 watt would pull enough to equal two standard bulbs.

Are you telling me that the Jeep canbus system pushes out 26 watts to the bulb so if I use a 25w or 50w resistor both are just eating up the 26watts?
That is not how I know it to work. I was taught a 50 watt resistor eats 50 watts, doesn't matter if it is just replacing one bulb. So a 50 watt would theoretically get twice as hot but since it is bigger it disapates more heat so it would be about the same at the 25 watt on.

Am I wrong?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kneeman
I guess I am stupid...

Won't a 25 watt resistor basically use 25 watts of power, so that would equal the load of one standard blinker/tailight bulb. And the 50 watt would pull enough to equal two standard bulbs.

Are you telling me that the Jeep canbus system pushes out 26 watts to the bulb so if I use a 25w or 50w resistor both are just eating up the 26watts?
That is not how I know it to work. I was taught a 50 watt resistor eats 50 watts, doesn't matter if it is just replacing one bulb. So a 50 watt would theoretically get twice as hot but since it is bigger it disapates more heat so it would be about the same at the 25 watt on.

Am I wrong?
You're right, what about using a heat sink?

Quick Reply: Where to mount resistor for LED front turn signals (it gets hot)