Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where to have aftermarket wheels rotated.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three suggestions for you:

1. Take the beast off road and beat up the wheels really good. You'll have a blast doing it and you'll stop worrying about scratching the wheels during a rotation.

2. Get a thin-walled deep socket and a nice floor jack. A floor jack doesn't take much room in the garage and makes rotating the tires very easy and quick. If you are doing a 5-tire rotation, that's all you need. If you are doing a 4-tire you'll need to invest in a couple of jack stands. The thin-wall will help keep the socket away from the wheel so you won't worry so much if you didn't do item 1 thorough enough.

3. Get a torque wrench and torque the lugs to 95-110 lbs. You can get a cheapo and save a few bucks. The important thing is to make sure the torque is about right. Too loose (lug nut comes off) or too tight (lug bolt breaks) is not fun. About a week after rotating it's a good idea to check the torque again. Also, having them torqued right makes it way easier if you have to change a tire on the trail.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you lift at the axles, the stock jack will still work. Or get the AEV Jack Base, which will give your stock jack another 3.5". Or the floor jack, as previously suggested.

Last edited by yomondo; 09-16-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: incorrect information provided
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

thanks guys. much appreciated. sounds like a floor jack, lifting at the axle, thin walled sockets and a torque wrench should do the trick. Will give it a shot this weekend.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DIY is the most satisfying IMHO. Especially for the easy stuff (oils, etc)

I recommend the 5 tire rotation as described above.

I spotted a nail in my tire while I rotated, so give the meats a good eyeballing.

Also take a look at your brake pads while the wheels are off.

You can get a decent jack and a torque wrench for under $100; prolly get stands, too. sears, etc.

And, as has been repeated many times on the board, NEVER trust a jack with your life. If you are going under there use jack stands.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a 5 tire rotation on mine with floor Jack and torque wrench. Took a half hour, easy as pie.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Three suggestions for you:

1. Take the beast off road and beat up the wheels really good. You'll have a blast doing it and you'll stop worrying about scratching the wheels during a rotation.

2. Get a thin-walled deep socket and a nice floor jack. A floor jack doesn't take much room in the garage and makes rotating the tires very easy and quick. If you are doing a 5-tire rotation, that's all you need. If you are doing a 4-tire you'll need to invest in a couple of jack stands. The thin-wall will help keep the socket away from the wheel so you won't worry so much if you didn't do item 1 thorough enough.

3. Get a torque wrench and torque the lugs to 95-110 lbs. You can get a cheapo and save a few bucks. The important thing is to make sure the torque is about right. Too loose (lug nut comes off) or too tight (lug bolt breaks) is not fun. About a week after rotating it's a good idea to check the torque again. Also, having them torqued right makes it way easier if you have to change a tire on the trail.

My 2 cents.
x 2 on option 1!!!!!!!!!! don't worry about scratched wheels!!!

seriously, the DIY is the way to go. one of the easiest things to do yourself and save cash. if your stock jack isn't tall enough for your lift, i place blocks / large paving stones under the jack to get an extra 8" of lift. ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS when under this heavy sum'bitch. i had the stock jack sneak out on me 2 times while doing the rear brakes on my JK and those stands saved my bacon and my rig. they did a number on my driveway, but at least i still have my life / rig. think about investing in 3 1/2 ton jack stands...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Discount Tire rotated and balanced my stock wheels for free.

Quick Reply: Where to have aftermarket wheels rotated.