Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where to go from here? NEED ADVICE!

Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to go from here? NEED ADVICE!

So I have had my Jeep for a few months now. Havent modded it too much, only added a CAI (K&N 63 Series). I am wondering what to do next?

I want to put 35s on it, but it would seem that would entail several other mods at the same time (gears, rear bumper and tire carrier, lift, etc). I want a 4 inch teraflex lift. Cant really afford to drop $6K I dont have to do all of that at once.

So I am wondering what else there is to do? I cant get a superchips as I have a 2010 and its not avail.

Looking for some ideas, nothing cosmetic, what I want is mods that will make it perform better (in anyway).

By all means, the more responses the better. Hope everyone chimes in.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gains for headers are down right minimum for the cost. Regearing will always be the best bang for buck on a 3.8L. What gear ratio/model JK do you have?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Right now I have a Sport 2 dr with 3.73 (so a D30 front and D44 rear), its an auto
Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs down gibson exhaust

Dont have gibson headers so dont know about those. i installed the split rear exhaust on my 07 and took it off the next day. it sounds like a rice burner. so loud and way too much resonance in the cab
Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do the lift and tires. Its just too much fun. My 35 is fine on the stock spare tire mount and the reduction in power isn't a big deal. Its not like the jeep was fast in the first place.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Michiguy i would bite the bullet and put your cash away for the lift, tires and wheels. Im running my jk with 35's but i have a manual. It took a lot of power out of my jeep but its really not that bad at all. some things to consider if u do that would be gas mileage will suck (literally) but if you want to look things in a postive way the stock gears in your JK are much stronger than aftermarket cause there bigger. (bigger the stronger) Basically what im telling you is you could deal with it for awhile until you save about 1500-2000 bucks to regear in the future. Just my input. But seriously dude...you do the lift and tires its like buying a new vehicle..talk about feeling like a little kid!!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Junkie

Is there a reason why you want the 4" lift? Low center of gravity is a good thing on the trail. You could get the 2.5 lift cheap compared to the price of the 4 and then have money for the tires.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for a 2.5" to 3" coil spring lift...most people have seen close to 4 or 4.5" of lift
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Michiguy
Looking for some ideas, nothing cosmetic, what I want is mods that will make it perform better (in anyway).
If in the perform better department you are including off-roading "better" a bumper and winch set-up is always a plus for relatively cheap (in comparison to a complete lift system). If you are a D.I.Y. type of person bumpers, skids, diff covers, body spacers, etc. are all fairly cheap, easy to install, and add to the abilities off-road. Sway bar Disco's (I went with JKS Quicker disco's) are a cheap option that add a lot of function. The JKS models also adjust if you have lift plans in the future. *I don't know if you count those as cosmetic, but they are all very functional*

Running 35" tires is great for off-roading but the speed will suffer. I don't see a point in owning a jeep to have it go fast so speed is a non-issue IMO. I would take crawling through more mud and over more trees over getting to 60mph faster than the jeep next to me any day. If you plan on only doing light-moderate off-roading the D30 can handle 35's but re-gearing would be a necessity down the road.

Here's a bitter 4" lift & 35" tire owner who doesn't think they look awkwardly small -but 37's are in the future-

Last edited by runit3; 01-06-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd recommend getting a new front stubby bumper and a tire carrier rear bumper. Keeps the cost down, you can do it yourself and it makes the Jeep look great.

Quick Reply: Where to go from here? NEED ADVICE!