Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where did you mount your air tank?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
Where did you all mount your air tank?

I have a 2.5gallon cylindrical tank that I can't seem to find a spot for. I found an awesome skid plate combo from RR, but unsure of exhaust routing.
I have a 2 door so, it has even less space than yours. I put my air tank where the evap canister was and relocated the evap back above the axle. If I had it to do again, I would go with the RR air tank skid plate. It protects the Air tank and the evap canister. I know it is a little pricey, but for lower headache factor and better protection, it looks like the best solution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-07 21.15.02.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	567093
Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I came across a video on youtube where a Middle Eastern guy put a small (1 gallon maybe) tank and a dual ARB compressor inside the rear storage compartment. It looked like he trimmed some of the plastic, but it fit. I'm thinking of trying to fit a single Viair in there with maybe a skinny 2 gallon tank when I get the money.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
I came across a video on youtube where a Middle Eastern guy put a small (1 gallon maybe) tank and a dual ARB compressor inside the rear storage compartment. It looked like he trimmed some of the plastic, but it fit. I'm thinking of trying to fit a single Viair in there with maybe a skinny 2 gallon tank when I get the money.
That is an interesting idea as well. In fact I have seen where folks have mounted the compressor in the space behind the passenger taillight. I have mine mounted to the brake master cylinder.

One of the things that I would be concerned with putting the compressor in a confined space is HEAT. I have done a fair bit of wheeling and most of the time I air down. I also have 35's on so the amount of air required to air back up is significant. My compressor is a Viair 450C. It's a continuous duty compressors. When I have to air back up it usually takes 20-30 minutes (never timed it). The compressor runs non-stop during that process. When I am finished, the compressor is WAY to hot to touch (touch it and your skin will blister hot), even though it is in the engine compartment with lots of air blowing on it. Yes, i know the air in the engine compartment is hot already.

That being said, I think you should do some testing to see how well it will work in multiple locations before drilling any holes. Put it in the space in the back and temporarily run wires and a hose to it. Let it run a few minutes, then see if you can touch it, or worse, if it melts the plastic compartment cover.

Just my $.02. Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
That is an interesting idea as well. In fact I have seen where folks have mounted the compressor in the space behind the passenger taillight. I have mine mounted to the brake master cylinder.

One of the things that I would be concerned with putting the compressor in a confined space is HEAT. I have done a fair bit of wheeling and most of the time I air down. I also have 35's on so the amount of air required to air back up is significant. My compressor is a Viair 450C. It's a continuous duty compressors. When I have to air back up it usually takes 20-30 minutes (never timed it). The compressor runs non-stop during that process. When I am finished, the compressor is WAY to hot to touch (touch it and your skin will blister hot), even though it is in the engine compartment with lots of air blowing on it. Yes, i know the air in the engine compartment is hot already.

That being said, I think you should do some testing to see how well it will work in multiple locations before drilling any holes. Put it in the space in the back and temporarily run wires and a hose to it. Let it run a few minutes, then see if you can touch it, or worse, if it melts the plastic compartment cover.

Just my $.02. Good Luck.
20-30 minutes?! Id be pissed off....
Old 07-23-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No tank , no compressor , I do have a cheap one for back up .One nitrogen bottle 5min all 4 on 35s !
Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
Not at all, I think that is about right. Like I said, I never timed it but Viair advertises that it can inflate a 35 in 5 minutes.

How long does yours take?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
I see from your profile, you have the dual Viair 444 compressors. Where did you mount the compressor? I cant imagine where there is enough space for them, except under the passengers seat. I'm sure that my wife might like the vibrating compressor there, but me, not so much.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
Not at all, I think that is about right. Like I said, I never timed it but Viair advertises that it can inflate a 35 in 5 minutes.

How long does yours take?
i had them on my wheel wells, but am currently redoing the whole thing as i no longer have as much wheel wells and no storage compartment...

it takes about a minute a tire and thats including putting the caps and all on.. i had 35s before on 17"s as well and that was going from 8 psi to about 20-22

Last edited by Maertz; 07-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Where did you mount your air tank?