Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where did you mount your air tank?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Not sure a pressurized aluminum tank in such a vulnerable spot is a good idea. One drop off a ledge and blam! With or without a skid plate.
I couldn't agree with you more, but the JK has such limited space in regards to finding a spot for a tank. My train horns sit between the radiator and engine face, or I would use the spot above that front most crossmember.

Not unless you want to put it inside the passenger compartment. But then where would I put all my ??
Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone should design and fabricate a tank that is about 1" thick that fits across the full rear floor. 1"-1.5" thickness should get a couple gallons of capacity. If someone wants to steal this idea from me and make some $, simply send me one as a thank you. ;-)
Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 46chevytruck
Someone should design and fabricate a tank that is about 1" thick that fits across the full rear floor. 1"-1.5" thickness should get a couple gallons of capacity. If someone wants to steal this idea from me and make some $, simply send me one as a thank you. ;-)
That never even crossed my mind....

It could be possible to fabricate a tank and essentially stick it anywhere...square, round, oval, the possibilities are endless... GENIUS, this guy is, 46chevytrcuk!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a picture of my air tank before I built the skid. Had to go back a year or so. Got the tank for free off an old 18 wheeler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2368668673.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	550024  
Old 05-02-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if people have tried to seal and fill frame rails with air? I wouldnt think that would be too hard? That would be an awesome solution.
(Could be water storage too)
Old 05-02-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone know if people have tried to seal and fill frame rails with air? I wouldnt think that would be too hard? That would be an awesome solution. (Could be water storage too)
How about roll bar air?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTMxRubi
How about roll bar air?

I've had this thought, a couple one gallons on either side in the rear like fire extinguishers, in fact with some ingenuity you could use fire extinguisher bottles depending on their ratings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

One thing I found while researching is someone sealed a rear bumper and use it as a air tank.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
One thing I found while researching is someone sealed a rear bumper and use it as a air tank.
I read a thread on here where someone did air and water in the bumper and had a spigot and air connection coming out the side

Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone know if people have tried to seal and fill frame rails with air? I wouldnt think that would be too hard? That would be an awesome solution.
(Could be water storage too)
I had that same thought! It's certainly thick enough that you wouldn't have to worry about the pressure. Not sure about water, though. You'd need to be 100% certain that it was sealed well on the inside to prevent rust and I don't think I'd drink or cook with water that had been in a frame rail. I'm not sure what it's coated with on the inside.

Quick Reply: Where did you mount your air tank?