Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where is the best place to put the light bar on my Wrangler?

Old 09-14-2019, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
A couple comments to add to what has been mentioned above. Yeah, above the windshield the light thrown on the hood is pretty distracting. I do have a shovel and axe mounted there, so that doesn't help. Honestly, I've found two uses--maybe three--for them. First, if you're fording deep water at night, they light your path while your other ones are obscured. And, if you have any glass lenses on lighting that is turned on that comes in contact with the water, you risk cracking. You really should turn them off and let them cool down before entering the water. The second use is when setting up camp. They do a nice job lighting up the area. Just don't look that direction. The third (possible) use is when lead calls out over the radio that someone is coming the other direction balls to the walls and the road is dusty. I throw on every light to ensure he sees me.

Crossing Lee Creek in Arkansas ...

Added lights on the bumper are more useful. I've adjusted mine so that the fogs, the low beam headlights, and the driving lights give a nice, even pattern on the roadway. Yeah, that's an illegal on-road configuration in many states, but I don't use the driving lights on the road.

BTW, it you do want your lights up high, then set back from the windshield actually works quite nicely. I had that configuration for a while and it does not light up the hood area, yet projects light a long ways down the road.

Medano Pass on the way to Great Sand Dunes National Park ...
If you turn on those real bright lights and some half drunk hill billy is coming up that trail, you will blind him and you’re liable to get hit. JMHO
Old 09-14-2019, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by LC Boyer
If you turn on those real bright lights and some half drunk hill billy is coming up that trail, you will blind him and you’re liable to get hit. JMHO
This is in the daytime only with truly heavy dust that is obscuring all vision. At night they wouldn't be needed at all.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-14-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Leave it in the box

Quick Reply: Where is the best place to put the light bar on my Wrangler?