Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

When to use sway bar disconnect?

Old 04-01-2018, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When to use sway bar disconnect?

I have a 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock edition with RK 1.5 lift and 285/70 17 tires. I tow this behind my MH. I usually run graded Forest Service roads and all the roads in Moab and Ouray with the exception of those rated as "extreme". Under what conditions is it desirable to use the sway bar disconnect, and what are the advantages in doing so? Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

In areas that you need mass articulation as in rock climbing or running steep off camber water falls. If you don't do this then there is really no need to disconnect and you actually get better traction for normal trails when both sway bars are connected.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably the exception, but I disconnect mine on any bumpy trail, regardless of how easy or hard it is for one simple reason, it smooths out the ride. When I get on a trail I hit the sway-bar button and pull it in and out of 4h to disconnect and smooth out the ride. We've had an '07, '12, '14 {still have}) JKURs (and now an '18 JLUR) and I've drove all of them same. We wheel local parks and go to Moab & Colorado twice a year (since '04) and I've used the disconnect 100x more than I've ever used the lockers. I will say that I don't do extreme trails, just all the popular ones in Moab like Gold Bar Rim / Golden Spike, PS, Kane Creek, etc.

Funny enough to Dirtman's comment, but the one area I won't disconnect is on steep off-camber hills where I want to minimize body roll. I know it still has the rear sway-bar connected but I don't like it when it gets to leaning / rocking too much or too easily.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hip2u77
I'm probably the exception, but I disconnect mine on any bumpy trail, regardless of how easy or hard it is for one simple reason, it smooths out the ride. When I get on a trail I hit the sway-bar button and pull it in and out of 4h to disconnect and smooth out the ride. We've had an '07, '12, '14 {still have}) JKURs (and now an '18 JLUR) and I've drove all of them same. We wheel local parks and go to Moab & Colorado twice a year (since '04) and I've used the disconnect 100x more than I've ever used the lockers. I will say that I don't do extreme trails, just all the popular ones in Moab like Gold Bar Rim / Golden Spike, PS, Kane Creek, etc.

Funny enough to Dirtman's comment, but the one area I won't disconnect is on steep off-camber hills where I want to minimize body roll. I know it still has the rear sway-bar connected but I don't like it when it gets to leaning / rocking too much or too easily.
I do exactly the same. It makes a big difference in ride quality.
On a trip a while back, the JK was getting thrown side to side quite a lot, even though travel speed was very slow. I disengaged the sway bar to smooth it out. One of the ladies in the back said "What did you just do to smooth this thing out?" The difference in ride was that noticeable.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Hip2u77
This is counter intuitive actually. You get a lot more tippy a lot faster when connected in off camber situations. Keep those tires on the ground and let the body roll and you're much better off.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
This is counter intuitive actually. You get a lot more tippy a lot faster when connected in off camber situations. Keep those tires on the ground and let the body roll and you're much better off.
Yeah this^

You'll roll the Jeep if you keep it connected when you're really off camber. Don't let the body roll scare you: if you've built your suspension correctly, you'll be fine.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I agree, it's counter intuitive when you're actually close to tipping but I'm talking about trying to minimize the extra body roll when disconnected. Like going across the tippy rock area on Sevenmile Rim in Moab. It's not steep enough to roll, it's not aggressive enough to need the extra wheel travel so I reconnect before going up and around it. As such, I minimize the 'oh, crap. . .' feeling when the JK rocks towards the downhill side. Kind of like the first corner after pulling the sway bars off an XJ. You're not going to roll but if you're not ready for it, it can surprise you. I try to minimize those surprises. I've been wheeling for over 30 years so it's just my personal preference to what I feel comfortable with. I will disconnect when I feel it's absolutely necessary to get through something off-camber but, in general, I stay away from the more extreme stuff since we drive to and from the trails.

Edit: I should add, I suck at trying to explain things. Of course if I'm stair-stepping down something off camber, I'll disconnect, even if it's not 'extreme'.

I'll be in Moab around July 29th this year so anyone is welcome to come out and play. But, we'll be in my wife's JLUR, which might still be stock, and we'll have the RZR1000, so we'll be in that most of the time. My JK on 35s will stay home.

Last edited by Hip2u77; 04-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol i disconnect any time im on dirt road with ruts. I put it in 4 wd and disco for that smooth level feel rather than be tossed side to side by being locked. Im not into rocks so its not a issue of needing to but, i agree Hip2u77 im maybe another exception. I do what seems to work best for me , granted if i didnt have the disco button id prob be locked more often (even getting to little spots on dirt roads) That arnt critical im disconnected for comfort and just 4l crawl in forward or backing up / then lock em up again where i need the stability. And i also rarely use lockers however when i did need them i had them, So im glad the option was there . Which was only 2 times in six years But northeast is totally different type terrain .

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-07-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: When to use sway bar disconnect?