Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

When to Truss the Rear Axle?

Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to Truss the Rear Axle?

So I am getting ready to beef up my axles on the JKU-Rubi Auto 2013 4.10's
I wheel pretty hard, trails that rate 7 maybe 8?? in some areas..
I don't bounce the jeep on obstacle's trying to get up them etc.. I only bump them when needed to get over them as I find the lines a really the key...etc.. I basically let the Jeep and Low range crawl up them...
You could say I am doing things so that in a few years when I am buying new tires I can choice 37's, regearing and the costs will defined if I go with 35's or 37's, currently I'm running Toyo's MT 34's so they are a heavy tire.. So right now I will probably be staying with that type of tire.

Front is getting EVO sleeve, gussets, CA arm skid kit and Synergy BJ's
Rock Krawler tie rod, Synergy adjustable track bar, EVO drag link flip kit..

Thinking of putting a Artec truss w/coil spring perches on the rear...
I understand that the rear is a lot stronger and that if you don't jump or bounce the Jeep the axle probably doesn't need beefing up

Rear Truss w/labor is ~$440
I could do it and be done with it or spend this on something else..

Any thoughts or opinions?
what have you guys done when beefing up your axles?
front and rear..

Thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had gone to about a 4.5 lift on a 2 door and was having issues with the rear springs being bowed pretty bad. The axel was coming down for a repair job on a upper control arm mount so I decided "Why Not" and did the whole Truss, spring perches and shortened the lower shock mounts.

So much of the cost of this job is dropping the axel that if you are going to be doing some work on it anyway you might as well do the whole job.

With all that being said I no not feel like it is a MUST HAVE upgrade. if budget is tight you can pass on it. However I found myself doing harder and harder trails and I could afford it.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's probably good insurance if you can justify the cost to yourself
Old 11-26-2014, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After doing a lot of research I opted against the rear truss when I did my front. What I did do at the recommendation of my installer was weld the rear tubes to the pumpkin. Just to keep the tubes from spinning which seems to be the only issue with rear housings.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on what type of wheeling you do. If you like fast desert blasts it might not be a bad thing to consider. For general trail riding and slow rock crawling, I would only add a rear truss for a triangulated 4-link or 3-link set-up.

Checking the rosette welds and/or adding tube to housing supports aren't a bad idea IMO...
Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imo for 35s upgraded axles and such will be fine if your not crazy hard on your rig. But 37s id rather get new axles and not waste any money upgrading the stockers. But thats just me, it does depend how hard/often you wheel as well as how screwed you would be if you broke.....
Old 11-27-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for your opinions.
I'm leaning on going for the rear truss.
Just be done with it. Build it to not break I guess
Old 11-27-2014, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put a cheap dana 44 truss from Barnes 4wd on my rear axle. Cost me less then $100.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I feel the same way you do. I have the Artec truss on the front axle already and the rear Artec truss and spring perches are sitting in the garage ready to go on. For what it costs why not add the extra insurance. I am running 35's but like you we do some serious rock climbing.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by petef550
I put a cheap dana 44 truss from Barnes 4wd on my rear axle. Cost me less then $100.
nice! but I'm not a welder so the install price factors in.

Originally Posted by kssting
I feel the same way you do. I have the Artec truss on the front axle already and the rear Artec truss and spring perches are sitting in the garage ready to go on. For what it costs why not add the extra insurance. I am running 35's but like you we do some serious rock climbing.
I was going to do the Atrec truss kit in the front with sleeves first but decided to wait on the truss... and use some of the money for the rear. which I'm now debating on just upgrading the axles shafts instead...

Quick Reply: When to Truss the Rear Axle?