Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheelspacer did the unimaginable

Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelspacer did the unimaginable

So, tire flew by me on the freeway. Brings back memories of being in my dads '56 Willy's when I was a kid and watching the same rear tire pull out and around us like we're a semi on the freeway being passed, only the trailer we had on the back of the Willy's then kept it from skidding. I was coming back from a great ride in the desert on my KTM so the jeep squatted on it's arse instantly with the extra 250lbs dead weight on back. Still trying to justify replacing the spacer and keeping better tabs on the lugs.

What happened is I felt the rear end "swaying" at 65 so I pulled to the shoulder, slowed to about 30, hit the hazards to get a better idea of what's going on and that's when right as I put my head out the window, the driver rear wheel shoots out and it's like the fourth of July beneath my eyes. Scary chit. Not sure the extra weight of the bike was a contributing factor or not. So DAMN Pissed because I really liked the look with the new 37's.

Anyone have this issue? Or let's say loosening of the lugs with aluminum wheels on spacers for that matter..From what I've read the aluminum wheels have a tendency to do this with spacers...So if you're running em, I'd have a socket on standby to check the lugs every time you drive because if I end up replacing this ruined one, that's what I'll be doing. I just couldn't imagine it having been a front. I did have locktite on btw. I ran out of the red which I had up front so I put blue on the back...could've been another contributing factor. The stock fender was torn off, guess new rear fenders are in order.

My rotor is a bit chewed, only skid for about 30 yards. Actually the shock mount is about 1/2 inch lower than the rotor in case anyone wants to know...so it took the brunt of the load on highway, but my guess is I'll need a new rotor, or can that be turned somehow as long as the padded area isn't scuffed (which it's not, it isn't that deep mainly the top of the rotor). Anyone know?

The tire just went on its merry way about 1/5 of a mile down the road and thankfully ended up in the median. I was able to back the spacer off, ride the dirtbike home (I was that close) get extra lug nuts and put the wheel back on. It's funny, this isn't a small town Gilbert, AZ or a small Freeway corridor..I zipped home about 3 miles on the bike, no light other than street lights, didn't see one highway patrol or cop the entire time and had fun playing with traffic, people were like WTH
Just glad to be ok and nothing worse happened.

Last edited by DesertRat_Rubi08; 09-06-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn glad u made it out ok brotha
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zenabi
Damn glad u made it out ok brotha
Thanks bro
Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your ok and nobody wound up with a 37" combo through their ws. How long since you mounted them? Could have worked their way loose, but looks more like it was the dreaded last one mounted and skipped on getting torqued down. Steps get skipped, especially when you're doing Lok tite and torquing twice the lugs. It appears all the studs are intact and looks like all the lugs gone. You'll usually see broken studs if a few worked their way loose on their own. Yes aluminum wheels are supposed to be checked more often, even then you're not going to be checking the actual spacer lugs, if you choose to check every drive.

I know plenty of people have run spacers safely, but I'm not a big fan of the xtra maintenance and possibility of losing wheels at speed, especially with mine being my wife's dd. The cost of repairs and spacers would have covered wheels with proper backspace.

Again glad you're ok, but id skip the spacers second time around. Good luck.

Last edited by highwayman; 09-06-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good call highwayman, thinkin ATX beads..it was the last to be torqued too.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DesertRat_Rubi08
Good call highwayman, thinkin ATX beads..it was the last to be torqued too.
Awesome wheels. I'm running spyderloks on mine. Same wheels as the slabs, but with rockrings. Good luck man. Nice bike too, ktm 300 is what I run.

Last edited by highwayman; 09-06-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed them Saturday and this was the first drive since other than the gas station monday
Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

So the moral of the story is, always bring a dirt bike with you when driving your JK so you can get home?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice, how are you liking the spyderloks?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

@ noxian hahaha if only..love the bike on back it just makes the set up that much more bada**

Quick Reply: Wheelspacer did the unimaginable