Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels Wobble/Lug Retainer Clips

Old 09-20-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels Wobble/Lug Retainer Clips

I hope my title was enough to strike up some conversation. I'm extremely frustrated.

I installed my KMC Addicts without removing the assembly clips that are on a few of the lugs. As a result, I was getting a really bad wobble. I brought it to a local shop and they said it caused each of my rims to become out of true by atleast 0.020 which is far above spec.

Since then, the assembly clips have been removed but the wheels still wobble quite a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wish I had known about removing those clips before installing the wheels when I got them!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean the holes are wallowed out or are they bent?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

The wheels themselves are bent. This is because there were retainer clips on 2 out of 5 of the lugs. This caused the wheel to not be flush against it's mounting surface.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

i had a wobble when i put my xd monsters on then i rotated the tires and it went away. not really sure why but you can try putting the frnts on the rear. i didnt remove the clips when i istalled my wheels.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

wow - have you contact the vendor? seems like wheel should be stronger than that.

maybe it was already out of true?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exact thing happened to me. Well, half of it. I had that vibration and my alignment guy spotted it immediately. As I had posted back then, with all the wheel swapping, rotating, and changing I had done in my 30 years of more than 25 vehicles (have 5 in the garage as we speak) I had never had that issue till the DC2s went on the JK. Fortunately, no damage (as in your case) was done to the rims. Yanked them round clips and we rolled just fine. Lucky me. Sorry you still have an issue.

Quick Reply: Wheels Wobble/Lug Retainer Clips