Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels/Tires on Stock vehicle help!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels/Tires on Stock vehicle help!

I am looking for a change from my stock 18" wheels/tires on my 2007 Sahara Unlimited to something that looks a little meaner ( and is a little better in NY winter weather.

I am not looking to spend a ton of money, but here is what I am thinking:

15 or 16" wheel on a good set of rubber.

any suggestions on what size I can go on a completely stock vehicle?

It is my first time doing a change like this, so I would like it to work on a stock vehicle- and I don't want to spend thousands.

Thanks in advance!

2007 Sahara Unlimited with 94k bone STOCK!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

bone stock, you can safely run a 32" tire or a 255 - no modifications needed. depending on the tire make, you might be able to go as high as a 33" tire or 285 but, you will most likely have some minor rubbing to deal with.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am running 285 70 17's on my stock JKU and when I turn all the way either way my tires rub the sway bar a little bit. It's not a huge deal to me, but I do plan on a 2-2.5" lift in the near future.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
bone stock, you can safely run a 32" tire or a 255 - no modifications needed. depending on the tire make, you might be able to go as high as a 33" tire or 285 but, you will most likely have some minor rubbing to deal with.
x2

I am running 33" -- BFG AT 285 / 75 / 16 on 16 X 8 rims with 4.5" backspacing. No rubbing on road, minor rubbing off road.

If you're looking to not spend much, you might want to consider Rubi take offs. They're 32".
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bennett
I am running 285 70 17's on my stock JKU and when I turn all the way either way my tires rub the sway bar a little bit. It's not a huge deal to me, but I do plan on a 2-2.5" lift in the near future.
Put a washer on your front steering stops. That'll stop the rubbing.

Here's a link:

Jeep JK Wrangler Steer Stop Adjustment
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saharaunlimited
I am looking for a change from my stock 18" wheels/tires on my 2007 Sahara Unlimited to something that looks a little meaner ( and is a little better in NY winter weather.

I am not looking to spend a ton of money, but here is what I am thinking:

15 or 16" wheel on a good set of rubber.

any suggestions on what size I can go on a completely stock vehicle?

It is my first time doing a change like this, so I would like it to work on a stock vehicle- and I don't want to spend thousands.

Thanks in advance!

2007 Sahara Unlimited with 94k bone STOCK!
You can get some 285's under your Jeep without a lift. For the rims, make sure you get 4.5" backspacing or less. The lower the #, the more your wheels will stick out from your Jeep. Your tire/rim combo will be cheaper if you go with the 15" rims.

Just make sure the 15" rims you choose will clear your brake calipers. MB72's are a popular rim in that size, and will fit fine.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kwolf
You can get some 285's under your Jeep without a lift. For the rims, make sure you get 4.5" backspacing or less. The lower the #, the more your wheels will stick out from your Jeep. Your tire/rim combo will be cheaper if you go with the 15" rims.

Just make sure the 15" rims you choose will clear your brake calipers. MB72's are a popular rim in that size, and will fit fine.
Thanks! I took a look at those wheels and that is basically what I was looking for- any information on a common street rubber ( that can handle NY winters ) that people tend to use with a 15 inch wheel like that?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

are you going to take this thing offroad right away or take it easy.....Lift will be gonig on soon, but found these wheels/tires on Clist and couldnt pass them up...2000 miles on em and got all 5 wheels/tires with a 4" Rancho value flex lift for 2100 bucks! SOLD.....anyway im running a 34 and dont rub unless i try to flex across a ditch..normal daily driving zero issues
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saharaunlimited
Thanks! I took a look at those wheels and that is basically what I was looking for- any information on a common street rubber ( that can handle NY winters ) that people tend to use with a 15 inch wheel like that?
I run DuraTracs for a # of reasons:

They're awesome in snow (I'm in WI)...quite possibly one of the best tires for snow this side of Blizzaks. They do well in mud and rain, as well.
If properly rotated and aired, it's not uncommon to get 50K miles out of em.
They look more aggressive than most AT's.
They're one of the lighter tires you can run.
Price is decent. I got my 315/75R16's for $220 each. (Had to wait a month cuz they were on backorder, though).

Just be sure to check the PSI after you get em mounted. Tire shops routinely overinflate 4x4 tires...you want around 30 PSI for 33's. Do a chalk test to get it right on.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure why I don't see more of these wheels (HELO842) on Jeeps. I had them on my 08 Sahara with 35s. They are fairly inexpensive $122/wheel and look great IMO.
Click image for larger version

Name:	HELO842.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	266443

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	266466

Quick Reply: Wheels/Tires on Stock vehicle help!