Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels & Tires

Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels & Tires

Looking to upgrade my stock wheels/tires on my 2012 JKU. What are some options? The whole "back spacing" business has me confused. The Jeep is 100% stock (just got it Saturday). Looking to spend no more than $2000 (shipped, tax, balancing ect). I want a 255/75 R17 tire, but no clue on the wheels. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It is mainly a daily driver with occasional weekend off-roading.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

My personal bias would be a BFG all terrain; that size is approx 32'' tall and would fit your 17's fine while you search for tires. I would wait till you get the wheels, and do it all at once "I'm sure you would too".

Backspacing: the lower the number, the further out the wheels will be. Example, the AEV pintlers have 4.5'' B.S. I think, and this will accommodate a bigger tire. If you NEVER will go bigger, this concerns you less, but you don't want to stray too high B.S. from stock, if at all. It wouldn't hurt to get wheels with appropriate backspacing for a bigger tire so 1) should you decide to go bigger, and 2) would appeal to more buyers should you sell them.

That's kinda what I've gathered in a nutshell. I'm in the same boat you are in, and I've narrowed my search to the AEV pintlers in argent, or the XD addicts; both in 17''.

I'm new at this too, and I'm just taking a stab at it, so if I'm way off base, someone set me straight...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Options are endless for wheels and tires depending on your buget and what you're using your Jeep for. Search around the site first, the answers to what will fit and back spacing questions are all out there, numerous times! Look through the show ant tell threads for ideas too.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FigsJeep978
Looking to upgrade my stock wheels/tires on my 2012 JKU. What are some options? The whole "back spacing" business has me confused. The Jeep is 100% stock (just got it Saturday). Looking to spend no more than $2000 (shipped, tax, balancing ect). I want a 255/75 R17 tire, but no clue on the wheels. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It is mainly a daily driver with occasional weekend off-roading.
Go Balls to the Walls and add a lift.. use your stock wheels with spacers and just purchase the tires (33s) for DD. You should still be within your budget.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Take your time and Im sure you can find Rubi take offs on here for a great price. Mine are coming off in a few weeks and will have about 4500 miles. I ve see lots of them offered up your way too. Just an idea. They are a great mud tire and the size you are looking at.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. Is there any size rim that is more beneficial than the other? 15, 16 ect?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larger wheels make for a more stable ride on road. Smaller wheels give you more traction aired down on the trail. 17's are a good mostly road size and 15's are for more serious off road but still fine on the highway. Tire price does increase with wheel size.

As far as running stock with spacers you won't be saving much in the long run. Discount Tire Direct will mount for free if you buy tire and wheel saving you over $100 for five wheels. Spacers will run another two hundred so you are in for $300 with stock wheels. Decent after markets will be about $500 so for an extra $200 I think wheels choice is worth it. If you get 15's instead of 17's you will probably break even with tire savings.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knight1000
Take your time and Im sure you can find Rubi take offs on here for a great price. Mine are coming off in a few weeks and will have about 4500 miles. I ve see lots of them offered up your way too. Just an idea. They are a great mud tire and the size you are looking at.
+1 on the Rubi mud terrain. That's the first thing I did was sell my stock tires and put the Rubi tires on my stock 17's. I drive over 100 miles per day and they are plenty quiet on road with negligible mileage change. It's my interim set up before I go 35's...
Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by keithvegas
Larger wheels make for a more stable ride on road. Smaller wheels give you more traction aired down on the trail. 17's are a good mostly road size and 15's are for more serious off road but still fine on the highway. Tire price does increase with wheel size.

As far as running stock with spacers you won't be saving much in the long run. Discount Tire Direct will mount for free if you buy tire and wheel saving you over $100 for five wheels. Spacers will run another two hundred so you are in for $300 with stock wheels. Decent after markets will be about $500 so for an extra $200 I think wheels choice is worth it. If you get 15's instead of 17's you will probably break even with tire savings.
So if i went with 17" wheels, would 255/75/r17 (32") tires be the biggest I could run on a 100% stock JKU? Could you fit 35's with WS only or would you need a lift?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FigsJeep978

So if i went with 17" wheels, would 255/75/r17 (32") tires be the biggest I could run on a 100% stock JKU? Could you fit 35's with WS only or would you need a lift?
There's a lot of options but mostly you can run up to 33's without a lot of work. Depending on width and how big the tire runs, some 33's will be less than 32 mounted under load, you may need to adjust steer stops and or bump stops. Some guys have jammed 35" with a lot of adjusting but no lift. Personally I would do a 2.5" lift for 35's with wheels with less backspacing than stock. I'm more of a if you are gonna do it, do it right guy.

Quick Reply: Wheels & Tires