Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels / Tires

Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels / Tires

Well I got my 3.5" RC lift... now I'm looking at 35's. I've been reading and researching for a while now, but I still have a few questions:

1) Will these tires fit on to these wheels with no problem?

2) Does anyone know if I could still use the stock spare tire mount with these with the tire touching the bumpers on the back?

3) And last but not least, would the gears be okay for about a year or would they need replacing immediately/sooner?

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

1) They will fit.

2) The real issue is the damage that the extra weight will cause on your tailgate. You can use the stock carrier, but I wouldn't do it for long.

3) You will be fine without gears. I dont have an automatic, but from the many posts I have read, it is a "must" with 35s.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MountainJKUnlimited
Well I got my 3.5" RC lift... now I'm looking at 35's. I've been reading and researching for a while now, but I still have a few questions:

2) Does anyone know if I could still use the stock spare tire mount with these with the tire touching the bumpers on the back?

3) And last but not least, would the gears be okay for about a year or would they need replacing immediately/sooner?

As for #3, the gears replacement is a matter of personal preference and NOT a requirement. Your gears will not fail or explode, but your Jeep will "lag" due to the fact that you installed larger tires.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

1. Go out to the mfg's website and look at the specs for those tires. Notice what the recommended rim width range is? Can you run them without issue? Yes. But some shops may decline to mount them since those rims are narrower than the mfg's spec.

2. No problems mounting it there. How long your tailgate last is up in the air.

3. Turn OD Off. There are about a thousand other gearing threads to look through for plenty of opinions and advice, but yes, OD Off will get your rpm's up into a usable range.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

1) Some people run 12.5 wide tire on stock wheel (7.5wide) so 8 should be fine but a 9'' wide wheel would be better.

2) Your wheels have not much backspace so I dont think it will be an issue for clearance but extra weight on that weak bracket will be a problem.

3) KM2 is a light tire compared to Toyos or interco. But its all up to you, It will be a little sluggish.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MountainJKUnlimited

no don't get black

Quick Reply: Wheels / Tires