Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels sticking out past fenders question

Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
So happens i'm a police officer in Saskatchewan. There is a $115 fine for tires extending past your fenders. That being said Those fines are usually reserved for special people and roadside lawyers. I do know traffic guys that would write it, most members i know could care less if you show a little tire.
Here in Pa we have an annual safety inspection. One of the requirements is that the tires of the vehicle do not stick out past the fenders/flairs. Most inspections stations in Lancaster uphold that requirement.
Most states, minus a few have requirements pertaining to this. I guess you have the most correct answer above.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My tires stick out about 2 inches from my fenders. Besides wearing a ton of mud the only other issue I have is bouncing in and out of the tire ruts in the roads in Anchorage.

I'm going to get wider fenders just to catch all the road gunk when I get back from deployment.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=JnT;2926419]LOL well your advice is definitely better than mine.

In SK your wheels have to be covered by fenders or flares, your bumper must be the full width of your vehicle and the lowest point no more than 75cm from the road surface, you must have at least one side view mirror on the drivers side, you must have side marker lights, and any accessory lighting must not be located above the hood (but this one wasn't really clear to me when I read up on it).[/ QUOTE]

Accessory lighting above the hood is ok, but has to be covered by a light cover while you're on the hwy. Again a judgement call.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

OK I decided against buying the wheels, I actually don't mind the stock ones, and I could always bedline them if I want to go black.
I decided to put the money towards a new bumper and winch....and so the searching starts again!!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubi_Chill
I wonder how many Jeep windshields are broken by another Jeep kicking up a rock on the highway? We need to stop the Jeep on Jeep violence. Ticket or no ticket covering your treads/mudflaps is the polite thing to do.
Happened to me in another vehicle, but it was a Motorcycle, not a Jeep. Still on my first windshield with 48k miles, knock on wood.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Bull, if you don't mind, whats the law, if any on taking the doors off in sask?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
JnT
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrimbler
Hey Bull, if you don't mind, whats the law, if any on taking the doors off in sask?
I'm sure Bull can give a definitive answer but I couldn't find anything requiring doors other than requiring at least one mirror on the drivers side.

Not sure where you are in SK but I've got a good supplier for Jeep parts in Regina. I can get parts for not much more than US prices. PM me if you want info
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrimbler
I cant find anything that says you cant in the vehicle equipment regs and i'm not aware of a rule aganst having the doors off. I know ill be doorless!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

JnT,
PM'd you. Totally interested.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

pm sent, I am really interested

Quick Reply: Wheels sticking out past fenders question