Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels sticking out past fenders question

Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Winnipeg Manitoba, you will get a ticket for sure, but we are going through a huge crack down on modified vehicles, safe or not, you will get a ticket if you dont meet specific requirements.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never gotten a ticket, but in Maine they have fender flare laws as well. As far as I know, the tire tread must be completely covered by the flares.

FWIW, I am in Texas right now and they don't give a shit...I've seen Jeeps of all types riding around with no flares at all! So it differs by location. I'd suggest taking a quick look at the laws in your area and then decide. If its not mentioned at all then no tickets should be coming your way. If it is as Maine is, then it'll depend on the cops, but I hate leaving the definition of whats "legal" in the law enforcements hands.

Good luck!

-Billy
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Cut my fenders and got new wheels with 4.5BS and tires with 12.50 width. Wheels stick out a couple inches, but no more than all the Brah-cal lifted trucks here in California, so I don't think I'll have a problem.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

To the OP, I think you should be fine with what you've listed. As for being ticketed, I was given a ticked about 5 yrs ago driving my TJ by an LEO who was just looking to meet his quota... but he missed on the mud flaps. Then two years ago I was given a fix it ticket by UHP for mud flaps but he missed the tires extending beyond the flares... only stick out less than an inch... So I guess it's just up to the LEO and what mood they might be in... Oh yeah, and if they need to meet their "productivity requirements" for the month
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

here in alabama cops dont care at all... i run no fenders. and you know what that looks like with 35" by 12.50
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

So happens i'm a police officer in Saskatchewan. There is a $115 fine for tires extending past your fenders. That being said Those fines are usually reserved for special people and roadside lawyers. I do know traffic guys that would write it, most members i know could care less if you show a little tire.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ya mine peek out slightly, I'm not a trouble maker and would prolly pull off my spacers right then and there to avoid trouble...rumor I heard that in bc they can be out just not past the mirrors ....idk ...
Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder how many Jeep windshields are broken by another Jeep kicking up a rock on the highway? We need to stop the Jeep on Jeep violence. Ticket or no ticket covering your treads/mudflaps is the polite thing to do.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bull
So happens i'm a police officer in Saskatchewan. There is a $115 fine for tires extending past your fenders. That being said Those fines are usually reserved for special people and roadside lawyers. I do know traffic guys that would write it, most members i know could care less if you show a little tire.
Good to know, Bull! I'll keep an eye out for you out there!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
JnT
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bull
LOL well your advice is definitely better than mine.

In SK your wheels have to be covered by fenders or flares, your bumper must be the full width of your vehicle and the lowest point no more than 75cm from the road surface, you must have at least one side view mirror on the drivers side, you must have side marker lights, and any accessory lighting must not be located above the hood (but this one wasn't really clear to me when I read up on it) maybe Bull can clarify?

Most of these infractions though would go un-ticketed with any members I know unless you are a dick when you get pulled over. Give our boys in the blue the respect they deserve and you will get it returned to you.

Quick Reply: Wheels sticking out past fenders question