Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels: Steel or Alloys?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
really? everyones for the steel? I just really hate the way they look, and the added large amount of weight they add.
you cant say these wouldnt look really good on my steel blue....
The only bad thing about the 7028 is......I cant find ANYBODY that has them in stock! I've called local shops, websites, and some other big shops across the South, nobody has them and they couldnt give me a date when some would be avalible!! But Im not sure about the different color ones, I just asked about the 7028's.......
Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sacdaddy03
The only bad thing about the 7028 is......I cant find ANYBODY that has them in stock! I've called local shops, websites, and some other big shops across the South, nobody has them and they couldnt give me a date when some would be avalible!! But Im not sure about the different color ones, I just asked about the 7028's.......
well i'm not looking till spring....so hopefully some people will have them by then? if not i guess i dont have much of a choice and i'll go with steelies!
Old 12-20-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sacdaddy03

YEP. i ordered the 7028's and have been backordered since october.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my alloys for light weight but the steelies are cheaper. You can't go wrong either way. I like both so I am no help at all!

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 12-20-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

I like the better designs the aluminum wheels offer. I like the fact that they are lighter. And if you shop around you dont have to worry to much about banging them up. When I purchased my wheel/tire package, I paid an extra $45 for a warranty on the wheels. You are aloud to send any rim back that gets damaged and they will send you a new one. You can do it for as many rims as you purchased. So if you buy a set of 5, you can send them back one at a time until you reach your 5 wheel replacement limit. They offered me insurance on the tires but I didnt get it They wanted $120 for the same thing on the tires. I got them from 4wheelparts.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

My KM2s on Alloy wheels weigh 92 lbs each.
My Hankooks on Steel wheels weigh 122 lbs.

I get 3 mpg less with the steel/Hankook combo.

Weight makes a big difference for gas mileage..
Old 12-20-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kntr

I don't know for sure, but I find it hard to believe that your steel wheels weigh 30# more than your alloys. Maybe there is some tire weight differnce in there as well. Does anyone actual know how much more a steel wheel weighs? I run steel and they are beat up quite bad. The only thing is I don't know is how my alloys would have looked had I run them.
I've been on a run where a steelie got taco'd, but a crescent wrench made quick work of straightening it out (trail hint, crescent wrenches make good vises).
Old 12-21-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

i was torn between the two for a while, but decided to go with the steel for price and durabiliy. once i mounted mine and checked the weight i was suprised to find out the difference was less than i originaly thought, 96lbs. tire and wheel. i don't know how much the pro comps weight but something to think about.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kntr

I can belive it.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

I went with steelies because of the cost to replace. It was a guarantee that I would scrape them on something and I have... quite a bit...

Quick Reply: Wheels: Steel or Alloys?