Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels: Steel or Alloys?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience in addition to what I said before is.

Steel will bend and rub brake calipers, you can pound it back when you hit something hard enough and it will get you off the trail.

Aluminum cracks and looses air. use the full size spare on your rig, that is what its there for. I have been wheeling for about 5 years and always owned aluminum. Never had one crack on me but I wheel once or twice a month.

steel -
bends
heavy
CHEAP

aluminum -
stronger than steel
cracks
light
good deals can be had (paid 125 ea. for 17x8.5 inch wheels)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much of a difference is it really going to make. is it really a big deal. i am going to go with steel ...in a couple of weeks. so whats the difference should i go with alloy.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepsterWayne
how much of a difference is it really going to make. is it really a big deal. i am going to go with steel ...in a couple of weeks. so whats the difference should i go with alloy.
Did you see the comparisons everyone has made? Its more up to preference.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
JK Newbie

If you go steel, you can go down to 15" rims and increase the tough look factor.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

I had the same debate as you, i want a little bling factor.

I have the same rims, that will be going on my new JK. What really nice about the fake beadlock it protects the rest of the rim from rockrash.

You can get rockrash on the inside, but its not as likely. IMO get the rims with the brushed aluminum ring. You wont see the rockrash on it. if you get the black rings, it'll get scraped off.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 12-15-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I had the same debate as you, i want a little bling factor.

I have the same rims, that will be going on my new JK. What really nice about the fake beadlock it protects the rest of the rim from rockrash.

You can get rockrash on the inside, but its not as likely. IMO get the rims with the brushed aluminum ring. You wont see the rockrash on it. if you get the black rings, it'll get scraped off.
I do prefer the aluminum ring, but i dont like the gloss black of the rim at all, to me its a bit to flashy for the my jeep. I really wish there was one that was the flat black with brushed aluminum ring.....if only that was an option

how have your rims been holding up?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

they are holding up great!

I have them stacked in my garage waiting on my long arm to be installed.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I have steelies so I'm a bit bias...If I had to do it over again I'd get steelies they're cheap, they're easy to replace, they bend. However you are basing your decission on price and I know that can be a big influence but it's your rig and you will have to live with what you decide on....I think you should go with the alloys. You obviously want them if you get the steels and it's not what you want then you will have to spend even more later down the road to get what you originally wanted in the first place. Sorry for rambling it's late and I'm not really sure why I'm still awake in the first place
Old 12-16-2008, 12:12 AM
JK Freak

Another steel fan.

My Rubicon wheels are rashed bad!

I am looking for steel wheel that has a big offset to protect the face of the wheel. The stockers are too shallow and get ruined on those damned Missouri rocks!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Went with steel for the price, and for the durability. They are my offroading wheels, so I kind of expect them to get beaten.
The alloy would be for the daily driver stuff, where I'm looking to save gas by saving weight.

Seriously, offroading, we aren't really worrying about gas mileage now, are we?

Quick Reply: Wheels: Steel or Alloys?