Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheeling with stock drive shaft

Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 AM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheeling with stock drive shaft

wheeling with 4 inches of lift and the stock driveshaft.... how bad is it?

I have a 2012 JKU with exhaust spacers to eliminate the potential of hitting the exhaust with my drive shaft.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just keep your eye on the boot on your front DS. The exhaust spacer will help. I would start saving now for aftermarket shaft.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

X2

Both with a 2 door
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

I have a 6 speed and haven't tore the boot on my front driveshaft, however I have torn the boot on my rear driveshaft with the EVAP skid.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 AM
-

Originally Posted by toxicity_27
I have a 6 speed and haven't tore the boot on my front driveshaft, however I have torn the boot on my rear driveshaft with the EVAP skid.
how long have you been running your current setup? how often do you wheel?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I have an 08 with a 3" lift and shreded the expansion boot and the cv boot on my front stocker. Not ready for an aftermarket shaft moneywise so I found another OEM for $60. I am installing some limiting straps for now to keep the droop under control but I am sure I will kill this one as well. The Adams DS moved up on my mod list and will get purchased soon but until then all you can do is watch it and if you can avoid hard articulation you will get some more time out of it. Also, I hear that the 2 doors are more prone to damaginf the rear DS with the EVAP canister if it has not been relocated, the 4 doors have a little more room.

Good luck!

Last edited by wittys-jk; 05-01-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 AM
-

Originally Posted by wittys-jk
I have an 08 with a 3" lift and shreded the expansion boot and the cv boot on my front stocker. Not ready for an aftermarket shaft moneywise so I found another OEM for $60. I am installing some limiting straps for now to keep the droop under control but I am sure I will kill this one as well. The Adams DS moved up on my mod list and will get purchased soon but until then all you can do is watch it and if you can avoid hard articulation you will get some more time out of it. Also, I hear that the 2 doors are more prone to damaginf the rear DS with the EVAP canister if it has not been relocated, the 4 doors have a little more room.

Good luck!
How'd you end up year the boot?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aaronstephen
How'd you end up tearing the boot?
I was going into a trail head and the only way in was through a 'V' notched trail entrance, kind of like a dryed up small creek but about 4' deep and I picked the wrong line and my passenger side wheel articulated as far out as the shock would allow it to go and I felt it then. It didn't help that I was also running the jeep hard that day in a new trail but tha'ts what happens with the OEM ds unless you limit the articulation or not disconnect at all.

This was the same day and this was the mild articulation compared to the other drop (I ended up bending that stock bumper frame this day as well before I got my stinger)...
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00581 (800x532).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	453407Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	453409Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	453410

Last edited by wittys-jk; 05-02-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Quick Reply: wheeling with stock drive shaft