Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel wobble @50mph on 35s

Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel wobble @50mph on 35s

Hey guys looking for some advice here. Recently put teraflex 2.5in lift, 35x12.50x17 Mickey Thompson baja ATZ and xd addict 17x9 on my 12 JKU. Everything is awesome and love it on and off road.

The problem is at about 50 miles per hour the steering wheel wobbles a lot. It goes away at 60mph. I have had the tires balanced 2x at discount tire trying to fix the wobble but hasn't gone away. Everything appears to be tight underneath and don't see any damage and haven't hit anything. Just mild offroading and flexing at local off road parks.

Is this common with the larger and heavier tires? What are you guys doing to resolve this? Thanks!! Here's pics for fun;

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3308972200.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	356415

Name:	image-794937206.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	356414

Name:	image-2977232765.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	356413
Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

get them balanced again. a speed related shimmy or wobble as you have described is almost always a balancing issue. balancing big off road tires is difficult to do and it's not uncommon to have to try 2-3 times to get it right. if your shop has a road force balancer, that will help.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you! Figured it was balance related. I'll try balancing again.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

did you install drive shafts? mine wobbled a bit around 20-40mph and it went away after i corrected the pinon angle.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
get them balanced again. a speed related shimmy or wobble as you have described is almost always a balancing issue. balancing big off road tires is difficult to do and it's not uncommon to have to try 2-3 times to get it right. if your shop has a road force balancer, that will help.
I had the same problem and rebalanced 4 times. First standard weights were used twice, then that sand stuff inside the tire and finally some kind of sticker weights. They worked perfect.
I also got dual front stabilizers, but from what I hear they only mask the problem. Another thing I was told that helped was a front trackbar.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. I have stock driveshafts and hope they are not the problem with only 2.5 inches of lift. Would this much lift cause pinion angle problems?

Thanks I didn't know there were different methods of balancing as will get some more info on that!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by angercrown
I had the same problem and rebalanced 4 times. First standard weights were used twice, then that sand stuff inside the tire and finally some kind of sticker weights. They worked perfect.
I also got dual front stabilizers, but from what I hear they only mask the problem. Another thing I was told that helped was a front trackbar.
tape on weights are the way to go and yes, steering stablizers only mask the problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I developed a similar issue when I upgraded to 35s. I went to two national chain retailers, before I decided to take my Jeep to a commercial truck tire shop. Having the equipment and experience to balance large tires, they got me balanced and all my vibration went away.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TROC
Thanks for the input. I have stock driveshafts and hope they are not the problem with only 2.5 inches of lift. Would this much lift cause pinion angle problems?

Thanks I didn't know there were different methods of balancing as will get some more info on that!
probably not the DS issue since you still have stock shaft. I had issues when i switched over to aftermarket shaft and the pinion angle changed

Quick Reply: Wheel wobble @50mph on 35s