Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel & Tires HELP!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel & Tires HELP!

okay i have a stock 2dr JK black

and i have some XD Series Hoss wheels 18x9 on backorder
and have some 33" Nitto terra grapplers im fixing to buy

i didnt even think about rubbing or anything like that until it was brought to my attention

what do you think? will i rub? plaenty of clearence?
tell me what u think thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

You should be fine driving on the road. When you flex on the rocks you will rub a little, but I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default ahhh nice

Originally Posted by dburgette
You should be fine driving on the road. When you flex on the rocks you will rub a little, but I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.
thanks for the help man, see i was thinking the same thing
if not spacers could always fix it right?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 2 different kinds of "rubbing."

One is when you have too little backspacing and wider tires (IE 12.5 wide aftermarket tires on the stock 6" backspaced Moab wheel) and it rubs on your sway bar links, front air damn, etc when you are turned full lock. This is because your tires are not far enough apart/out from the Jeep. This is corrected by getting a wheel that has more backspacing (IE 4.5") which moves the tire 1.5" away/out from the center of the Jeep. An alternative is to get spacers which go between the stock wheel and the hub which pushes the whole wheel/tire out whatever the thickness of the spacer is.

The second "rubbing" is when you dont have enough lift for the diameter of tire you are running and the tire rubs on the fender well when it is sully stuffed and your swaybar is disconnected. The stock Rubicon tire is 32" and will not rub on the fender. Moving up to a 33" tire can cause minor rubbing with extreme articalution. The fix is larger spring lift, coil spacers, or a body lift.

The best way to do things is just follow the known setups on this site, or other JK's are running. I hope this info wasnt beneath you, or sounded condescending. It wasnt meant to be and I just thought maybe you hadnt learned all of this yet.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and I wouldnt worry about the rubbing on the fender well, but I would put at least a 3/4" coil spacer on there. It will level your rake, look better, and help the rubbing a little.

Also, do you know if you got the 4.5" BS wheel? I think in 18" they offer it in both 4.5 and (or 6")? If you ordered 4.5 you are golden...

Quick Reply: Wheel & Tires HELP!