Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel / Tire question

Old 06-22-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel / Tire question

I'm just now to tht point where I can really do some additions to the JK.. So far I've put on JKS Quicker Discos, Budget Boost (pucks), Rubi Sliders.

I'm going to buy a 3" spring lift kit with adjustable front track bar. I would also like to get some wheels and tires.

My first question is what size wheel would you recommend? Should I stay with 17" or are the tires more affordable if I drop down to a 16" or a 15" (assuming a 15" will fit)

I really like a couple of different wheels from Moto Metal. Anyone heard any good or bad about these wheels? How do they hold up to wheeling? My JK is a daily driver first. I wheel about 10 - 12 times per year.

Tire size.. I would like to stay at 32" or 33". That being said I can get the same tires that come on the stock rubi for $105 each. If I do that I can get tires and wheels for under $1k..

Any ideas / advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely get 35's. And yes you can run a 15" rim, I've got them on my gf's 08 with no problems.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JAVO
I'm just now to tht point where I can really do some additions to the JK.. So far I've put on JKS Quicker Discos, Budget Boost (pucks), Rubi Sliders.

I'm going to buy a 3" spring lift kit with adjustable front track bar. I would also like to get some wheels and tires.

My first question is what size wheel would you recommend? Should I stay with 17" or are the tires more affordable if I drop down to a 16" or a 15" (assuming a 15" will fit)

I really like a couple of different wheels from Moto Metal. Anyone heard any good or bad about these wheels? How do they hold up to wheeling? My JK is a daily driver first. I wheel about 10 - 12 times per year.

Tire size.. I would like to stay at 32" or 33". That being said I can get the same tires that come on the stock rubi for $105 each. If I do that I can get tires and wheels for under $1k..

Any ideas / advice is greatly appreciated.
I stayed with the 17's because it seems to be a good middle ground. 15/16 " tires are cheaper but IMO they don't handle as well on the road and my JK is 90% dd. 17" wheels still leave you plenty of tire for off roading and tires are cheaper than 18" tires.

I am running the Moto Metal 951b's and I have no complaints. They look great and perform well on and off road!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NwiTACO
Definitely get 35's.
Good grief, here we go again. 35s or bust, yadda yadda.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/33s-35s-help-90142/

Last edited by opdsgt; 06-22-2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: link added
Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

^^^Sounds like you got a case of small pecker buyers remorse. When you decide to really wheel, you'll wish you had 35's.

I am building my first Jeep now, but have been wheeling my yota for years. The added diff clearance with the 35's will get you way more places.

If you don't want to use it on any real trails, get the smaller wheels.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NwiTACO
Definitely get 35's. And yes you can run a 15" rim, I've got them on my gf's 08 with no problems.

I thought about 35's because my buddy has some 35" Remmington Mud Brutes on his 08 but he complains about a lack of power.. I dont want to have to regear just yet.. He's running a manual transmission where I have an automatic.. Maybe the auto is better with the 35's but that's a lot of extra weight on the stock axles and shafts.

And 35's are crazy expensive.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im going with 33's. Better gas milage and wear on suspension.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moosey4
Im going with 33's. Better gas milage and wear on suspension.
Which 33's are you getting?

Quick Reply: Wheel / Tire question