Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel and tire question

Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redrockin7
A lot of people are running the Pro Comps in 15s with no issues... 15x8 or 15x10 will work. They are a little more money than Cragars b/c they are alloy, but IMO they look nicer anyway and the less weight might be nice as well. Worth the extra $40 or so a wheel? To me it is... this is what I plan to do...

I will probably do BFG A/Ts but the General Grabber is a good idea with similar tread. Also very cheap in 33x12.5x15... I think tirerack said $114 per tire, but they are "special order". Where do you plan to get your grabbers?

Yeah, Pro Comps would be nice... But my fiance is on a fairly tight budget. I found the style that i want for $88 USD at Les Schwab. Not a great deal but ok.

These will work for now, and if she wants to upgrade down the road when shes finished her degree and makin big bucks she can. just gotta get rid of those stockers though.

Yeah, the Grabber looks like a good choice, and i know several guys runnin 'em on their trucks with good results. They have said that it is a good all around tire that is very capable on and off road. i also like the fact it has the severe winter rating. They have also said that it is very quiet on the highway compared to the BFG's

I plan to get them at Discount tire up here, though will check the US to see if they're cheaper.

They are $170 CDN up here. again, fair but not a steal.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Calypso
You'd better be careful with that set-up. 3.75 bs is pushing it and will put a lot of pressure on ball joints, etc. Plus, have you looked at your brake calipers?? I've read that the guys running the 15"s have to shave the calipers down so they'll fit.

Have to agree with above and as well add that 3.75 BS your tires will be hanging out over 1" outside your stock fender flares. Also, if you go with the 12.5 tire you better get a lift if you decide to go off-roading. You will be rubbing hard on your rear fenders when you are flexing. I rubbed my rear stock fenders with 33x12.5R17 with 4.5" BS with stock suspension.

I would look at 5" to 4.5" BS rims.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Have to agree with above and as well add that 3.75 BS your tires will be hanging out over 1" outside your stock fender flares. Also, if you go with the 12.5 tire you better get a lift if you decide to go off-roading. You will be rubbing hard on your rear fenders when you are flexing. I rubbed my rear stock fenders with 33x12.5R17 with 4.5" BS with stock suspension.

I would look at 5" to 4.5" BS rims.
Perfect! 1" outside the fender is exactly what i'm lookin for.

As for flexin off road, that won't be an issue. It is a daily driver, and won't see any off roading where serious flexin will occur. not gonna take this thing crawlin... not just yet anyways. the most it will see is some muddy back roads.

A lift IS in the plans, but not for a little while (provbably just a BB)

Only goin with the 33's NOW cuz there ain't no point gettin 31s or 32s and them liftin it and havin to swap tires again. IDEALLY I'd do both, but that's not an option at this time.

Not my rig, and not my budget...

Hell, I wanna put a 3" lift on my truck and 33's but I GOTTA do both at the same time.

Quick Reply: Wheel and tire question